Are server names hardcoded in JDE

Madav Karna

We were planning to rename our JDE Database Server but our CNC told that it is not advisable to rename as the server names are hard-coded in JDE and should be retained. Are the server names hardcoded in JDE?
If so where are they hardcoded. Do we have any oracle document which states machine names are hardcoded?.
Any help on this would be greatly appreciated..........

Thanks,
Karna

The only server that you wouldn't want to rename is the deployment server as the hostname is spread all over the place. Everything else can be renamed/recreated without too much pain within JDE. Of course, if you have other systems connecting to, or integrating with, your JDE instance this may have also have an impact.

@RussellCodlin: Thanks for the response, is there any link, where i can look to see the deployment server name stuff that you had just told.
I also wanted to add a few points so that i can give a better view of the situation
We are planning to upgrade our Oracle database from 11.1.0.7 to 11.2.0.4 and also are migrating the platform of the database server to Red Hat Linux 5 from AIX 6.1.
So for the same, the database team wanted to rename the server, but our CNC told us that the database server name should stay the same.
Will there be an impact, changing alone the database server name?

Thanks,
Karna

That being said ... don't just go ahead and rename a server. Things will break if you don't do your homework first.

Will there be an impact, changing alone the database server name?

The short answer is yes. I don't want to say how much of an impact because it depends on how your environment has been set up, what other systems are involved, etc. So there is effort in changing the DB hostname. It may be a small effort, it may be a large effort but it is definitely something that other sites have done and JDE does not prevent it.

If your CNC is not comfortable with what is involved then I would recommend you involve external consulting services. It is not something you want to do by trial and error.

"Are the server names hardcoded in JDE?"

No - they're "soft-coded"

Thanks for your time and help Jones, is there an reference document with steps for changing database server name in JDE.

Thanks,
Karna

Back