Application Level Security

jdesteve13

Hello,
We are on JDE 9.0/Win7/Tools 8.98 and are implementing application level security (subtractive - no access unless granted) and are finding the process very tedious and that every application requires access to several others to maintain full functionallity and quite often crosses system codes. Right now the only way we can find these dependencies, is to open up an application and run through everything a user might do on a screen. The users will not have fast path, only the IT group.

My questions are -

1. - Are their any tools that will show what dependencies an application has?

2. -Is there any good "instructional" how-to documentation out there on JDE 9.0 security? or can anyone share any documentation ?

3. - Are there any basic security templates for different job types, something we could take and adjust to the users needs?

I've been through the knowledge garden and can't find anything that is usable for assisting with the set-up of our security policy and the determination of what dependencies every application has.

Thanks for your help!

My $.02. I have been through the very scenario you are talking about and the simple answer is no, there are no canned E1 tools that will readily assist with what you are trying to accomplish. My plug for a third party tool and I am in no way related to these guys, but AllOut security is a great and fairly inexpensive way to accomplish what you are looking to do. In essence, you lock *PUBLIC from everything. You define a menu for a role and then the tool will navigate through the menu and open up all the applications, reports, embedded UBEs, row exits etc in one fail swoop. It can pay for itself in the hours of doing what you discussed of opening application per application and seeing what else needs to be granted. At a minimum you should get a demo and see how it works. Other than a third party tool like AllOut or QSoftware, I am unaware of any canned out of the box way to simplify what you are doing. Hence the reason these tools exist.

I agree with Steven on this in that there is no native way in E1 to do this. I work very closely with Q Software so obvious endorse their products. If you want to know more, hop over to their site qsoftware.com or drop me a line.
Thanks.
Matt Vanderkooy
[email protected]

The previous posters are correct in that the easiest way to identify these exit programs is with a 3rd party tool. I work with ALLOut Security and have also worked with Qsoft in the past. My preference is with the ALLOut suite of tools as it will help you not just identify, but to create the desired security for all of the program exits, but more importantly, the UBE interconnects in a matter of a few minutes or less per role. ALLOut also has a template that can help you setup a streamlined taskview and all of your roles with security and E1 pages in less than a 1/2 day.
Checkout the website at www.alloutsecurity.com or email me for more info and I can get you in touch with the right person.

Back