Anyone try this on NT Dep server?

boaterdan

I have two 1.0Ghz processors in my deployment server. I noticed that when I'm doing client package builds there (compiling), it is running at < 15% utilization. The disk access light is only blinking sporadically, so the disk is not a bottleneck.

So, I'm thinking... particularly when I'm building a package, I'm really running an "application", and there isn't really any "services" on this box that are too significant to my overall network. So I'm wondering what would happen, or if anyone has tried, going to the performance settings on the deployment server and changing it from background services (the default for a server) to applications (foreground).

Hmmmmm??? Whatta ya think?

---------------------------------
OneWorld Xe SP15
Clustered Windows 2000 + SQL 2000

When you run package builds the utilization is mainly very high on the
Enterprise server as it builds the objects. I don't think that making any
changes on the development box will affect performance.

Thanks,

crawford

Actually that is a good idea Dan but it may not have much impact. Client Package Builds DO take place on the Deployment Server. Our experience is that it is I-O bound primarily - File and DB I-O - and we have our Central Objects in oracle on our HPUX ES box (1 GB network pipe).

FWIW,

Larry Jones
[email protected]
OneWorld XE, SP 15.1
HPUX 11, Oracle SE 8.1.6
Mfg, Distribution, Financials

The file i/o doesn't seem to be a bottleneck based on the disk activity I can see. But the DB is another story.

Later in the build the utilization stayed more like 50-60% on both processors, so I guess it is doing pretty well.

One of these days I'm going to change it and see what difference it makes and I'll post the results.

---------------------------------
OneWorld Xe SP15
Clustered Windows 2000 + SQL 2000

Back