E9.2 Any JDETrace Users?

Jeff George

Jeff George

Well Known Member
Anyone still using this tool? I noticed that the feature list includes things I never noticed before. It says there are SQL and BSFN Analysis panes, but I don't see such things, and how do you get BSNF parameters for pasting into ObjectBrowser? I can't even get the Find to do anything. Where do you type your Find criteria? It seemed to work in version 1, but I just installed version 2 from 2019, and nothing responds to clicks or double-clicks.

It is in my essential tools bag, along with ObjectExplorer, I see tabs for JDE Processes, SQL Table Access, Timing Gaps, Find, Long Tasks, Raw Data, Cache Details, Errors/Warnings and BSFN Calls.

This is version 2.0.0.2.

You need to 'analyse' the log by selecting a process in the JDE Processes window then pressing the 'Analyse' button.

Make sure the required windows (all of them) are selected in the View/Toolbars and Docking Windows dropdown.

feature list includes things I never noticed before. It says there are SQL and

You can also analyze a debug log (Jas or jdedebug) using File->Open

That's all true, but for some reason none of those things are actionable in version 2 for me. I went back to version 1 and everything was functioning as I expected again. Maybe I had a bad download. I'll try again.

The big thing I was interested in that I never knew you could do was this pasting the BSFN parameters into ObjectBrowser. I'm assuming it means the paramaters that you can see when you expand the BSFN in the log window, but where do I put those values in Object Browser? I didn't know you could trigger a BSFN directly in OB.

Here's an example of what I see in version 2 versus version 1. In 2, I can't click in the Find box, for example. I'm not sure why the two versions are behaving differently.

Attachments

• JDETrace Sample.pdf
    227.8 KB · Views: 8
That is odd. Looks like there is a Find pane in two places. Can you try deleting the registry entry:

Computer\HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\PatWel Group Inc\JDETrace\Workspace

That should reset any panes and positions when you restart the app.

For the copy parms question, just right click on the data structure (Parms In) in JDETrace and you should have an option for Copy Parms. Then in Object Browser find the function and invoke the Test mode. Then choose the menu/toolbar option to paste parameters and everything from the debug log will appear as input parameters for the function.

Thanks for the feedback, Craig. I just realized that you must be the Wel in PatWel. I've been using your tools for as long as I can remember, but I'm still learning more about how to use them properly. And it looks like you might be a fellow bass player.

Deleting that registry key seemed to resolve the issue. I noticed that the Find is on the lower set of windows instead of in the middle like in v. 1. That BSFN functionality is pure genius. I wished I'd know about that years ago!

Thanks for the feedback, Craig. I just realized that you must be the Wel in PatWel. I've been using your tools for as long as I can remember, but I'm still learning more about how to use them properly. And it looks like you might be a fellow bass player.

Deleting that registry key seemed to resolve the issue. I noticed that the Find is on the lower set of windows instead of in the middle like in v. 1. That BSFN functionality is pure genius. I wished I'd know about that years ago!
Great! Glad that worked and that you find the tools useful. The MFC panes can get a bit jumbled up. Nice to meet another bass player. If you like Rush, I'm in a tribute band.
https://www.youtube.com/@vaportrail8019

Back