Any Feedback on Xe with Wintel Enterprise Servers and Linux/Oracle Database server ?

antoine_mpo

Reputable Poster
Hello list,

We are currently on Xe SP23_Q1, on windows 2003 servers (1 oracle database server, version 10.2.0.3, 3 entreprise servers, and 2 jas servers - with websphere 6 -), and we're about to change.
We want to upgrade to Oracle 11g 64bits, using RAC option.
Our first choice was to stay on wintel platform, and to install Oracle RAC on windows 2008R2 server.
Unfortunately :
Oracle 11g R2 with RAC option doesn't work on Windows 2008 (there has been a known issue for 6 months without any solution so far), and 11g R1 with RAC option is not stable enough (it works, but there are issues during stop/restart process, and it ofen needs to manually try several times).

So we have the options :
- install RAC on Windows 2003 64 bits, but windows 2k3 is not supported anymore (by microsoft, and as a consequence is not in JDE MTR anymore)
- Install RAC on the Oracle Linux. But it's not supported as it's not in MTR.

According to you, what would be the best option ?
Does anyone use, or already install or saw some Oracle/linux database with Xe ? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot folks.

Regards,

Re: Any Feedback on Xe with Wintel Enterprise Servers and Linux/Oracle Database server ?

Serves me right for not reading your entire post.

Initially, I'd suggest going oracl 11g R2 on Linux, which is a very stable database environment - and if you are not comfortable with E1 on Linux, to use windows for your E1 services.

Linux is certainly the fastest and most scalable option on the x86 platform - but you do need very specific Linux/unix skills to maintain and manage - so perhaps just providing the database "as a service" and connecting the E1 services to it is your best option. I'm certain that others will have varying opinions on this.

HOWEVER - I just saw that you're running on Xe - and so you're concerned about support.

To be honest, while using oracle 11g on Linux would be fine, I think from a support perspective in a live environment, using windows 2k3 would be a better direction while oracle works to get the windows 2k8 issues resolved. From an E1 support situation, if oracle found you had the database being served by Linux, they'd have a much bigger issue than if they recognized you were running an older version of windows.

However, this situation is starting to underline the fact tht your version of oneworld is now more than 10 years old, and is struggling to keep up with the latest changes. Oracle will only support xe for a couple more years - and I think you are starting to justify a business case for your upgrade here...

Back