Aggregate function in Level break footer

Rauf

Rauf

VIP Member
I have a columnar report Inventory Issue Register. The report have a field called 'Extended Amount'. I need to find the sum of this field. So while creating Level Break footer, it will ask about a field to choose as the level break. Now I don't want to group the records and find the sum. I just need sum of all records. How can I do this ?

Hi Rauf,

First of all, avoid to use the very un-flexible Colunar type of section.
I do not want to details why, but maybe more of us on JDEList will confirm this.

For Grand Total ctreate a Conditional Section with the appropriate fields and mark them as Global Variable. Add simple ER to yor main section:

Init Section:
Initialize these as null.
Do Section:
Add your current value to these variables:
RV GLBL Exxtended Amount = RV GLBL Exxtended Amount + BC Extended Amount
End Section:
Call your Conditional Grand Total Section:
Do Custom Section(RS Grand Total)

Hope, this help a bit.

Regards,

Zoltán

Zoltan I agree with you. I avoid using the columnar report as much as possible. I have a BA that told me the other day that I will need to use a columnar report for some items, and I will always try to find a way around it. Inflexible and makes things more complicated than necessary.

You can select the option "Grand Total" or "Total" in the field properties. This option doesnt require a field defined as level break.

I disagree with the anti-columnar report sentiment. When creating reports that only require a columnar format it is so much easier to use a columnar section instead of a group section. When you use a group section to mimic a columnar section it is so much unnecessary work.

I agree Scott, I am not really understanding the knock against columnar sections either. Granted, there are things that are pretty poorly implemented with them but there are just as many things poorly implemented in a group section as well.

If all you need is a simple columnar report, trying to implement it with a group section will require a TON of work to output column headings, pagination, etc. while trying to keep everything lined up... As long as you know the limitation before hand and it wont cause any issues then I would use a columnar section. In fact the only real issue I can think of is with the limitations with the column headings (only 2 lines, can't span columns, etc.).

In general the report writer is pretty bad at, well er um... creating reports that are inteded to be looked at by humans. If you want output that actually looks half way decent and doesn't look like it was spit out of a vacuum tube based main frame to a VW bug sized 3 dpi line printer on green/white paper that is wider than your desk (circa 1962), you have to re-author the PDF with something like formscape, BI-publisher or use a 3rd party reporting engine.

UBEs are not too bad for running batch processes to update data, process business transactions, etc., which is what they were probably originally intended for (hence the name), writing *professional looking* reports, well thats another story.

Brian, Scott, Jeremey and Zoltán,

Mmmm ...

The choice of section type , as has been pointed out, should be based on the requirement. However, users, in my experience, may start out requiring a report for which the use of a columnar section would suffice, but quickly make additions or changes to their request that make the use of a columnar section cumbersome.

Therefore, in general and as first choice, I go for group sections. Columnar sections are good for quick and basic reports required, unchanged, on an ongoing basis - I can't remember ever having done one of those. When I need a quick basic report, it is a one-off and needed yesterday and the output of a SQL is good enough, and is quicker to produce than writing a UBE - even a columnar section.

The UBEs I am asked to write/enhance are usually complex and "non-standard" in structure or are being converted to a "non-standard" structure. The flexibility of the group section is a lot more important to me than the simplicity and speed of the columnar section.

My AUD 0.02 worth.

Hi Peter, Brian, Scott, Jeremey,

Peter, thanks for you post - you have written instead of me, why I use group sections. Generally the client's requirements are changing fast and frequently and at last is not fit to a columnar report - for example placing more and more info onto the report which does not fit in one line.

I can not tell all of the problems of columnar sections, because I use it rarely - but I am sure, I have a good reasen why in my practice.

OK, sometimes columnar section is the fastest and best choice to produce a simple list report, but in a complex report it can be easily a problem to enhance it based on the additional requirements.

On a compex report has not as much effort to produce a "mimic columnar" on a group section as re-design a columnar to a group type section.

Regards,

Zoltán

My reasons are similar to Zoltan's. What may start out as a simple data dump where a columnar report will work, quickly turns into a more complex level break, highly formatted report. Because of my experience with my users I generally just start off with a simple group report putting in the level breaks and page breaks with aggradation that I know the users will request after they get the initial report. My main problem with columnar reports is having to go in after the fact trying to modify them for the level breaks. Because of that, I just stay away from them.

My .015 cents worth.

A really easy way is to break on the top most common field and put it at the top of data sort. I generally use company number as my top fieled because I run on one company at a time so it is the same for all records. In the Data sort I put it at the top of the list, I put my break on the company so that and it will be at the end of the report then you can simply choose your field to aggregate.

If you do not have a common field in your data this will be difficult but then you san do as suggested below and aggregate the amount in the ER to a RPT variable and then create a totals section.

Hello,

I have a question about cross-section totaling.
I have 4 tabular sections that are pulling data from DB (each section has a level break on MCU), and I need a total of all rows in all 4 sections. So, total is NOT for each section individually, it is a total of all 4 sections.
I'm new to JDE, so please help!
grin.gif

Back