Advise on .net programming

HP dave

We are embarking on a major upgrade from XE (coexistence) to E9.1 on Wintel. Part of our project plan calls for developing some custom outbound interfaces not as UBE objects, but rather, in .net.

I am looking for some advice as to a best practice of 1) having a .net process be initiated from E1 Scheduler. 2) How best to have .net process be 'aware' of it's E1 environment: userid, environment, datasources, pathcodes, etc.

We are using consultants to assist with the overall upgrade, but then we will routinely be wanting to write extract/outbound process in .net, as we do not have any trained Oneworld developers.

My presumption is that a UBE can be written that invokes the .net process. The UBE could establish the needed E1 environmental data either as parameters on the call, or written to a config type text file unique for each submitted instance.

I can also believe there might be a means to have the .net process interogate the necessary E1 system tables to determine all the needed info. I would not know how to begin to determine the best means to do this.

Any comments and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Dave

Not exactly sure how best to advise you but since no one else is I guess I can give a few thoughts off the top of my head.

If you really want JDE to invoke .net processes I guess there are probably quite a few ways to do that... not sure what the best practice would be. Two ideas come immediatly to mind:

1. Write a Business Function that is called from a UBE that executes the process.
2. Use E1 Business Services to invoke a .net Web Service - probably would be considered "best practice" or the "official" way to do things.

Both of the above would require JDE development which it sounds like you don't really have any in-house expertise and may be trying to avoid. Which brings up the question why use the JDE scheduler? Why not use a third party scheduler like Tidal? A third party scheduler could execute the JDE jobs/processes and then when those finish (assuming those are dependant tasks to your .net processes) it can kick off your .net processes.

Hi Dave,

Take a look at our .Net based integration product (LynX Business Integrator). If you want to execute .Net programs from UBEs, you can "hook" them up through our output management product (LynX Output Manager). Send me a private message if you need more information.

Back