Advantages of OneWorld to World

BillG

My company is currently live on World Cum 8. I have been given the daunting task to find advantages for the END USER of switching to OneWorld XE. Any information would be helpful.

Thank you
Bill Glascott
OneWorld Xe, SP16.2, AS/400

Here are a few from a user point of view

Windows interface - No comparison with "Green Screen"!

Ease of navigation - Tree structured menus are very easy to get around in.

Reporting - no longer stuck with FASTR's and World Writers. The report Design Aid (RDA) is VERY powerful. Many of the IT people on this board say "Too powerful for most users."

Ability to Export/Import to/from excel and grids within JD Edwards. Can be very useful for large JE entry type tasks.

Users can customize there own screens and grids to meet their specific needs.

Can have multiple JD Edwards screens open at the same time. I use to have to open two World sessions to accomplish this and still only have two screens to work with. In One World I've had as many as twenty forms open at one time on Fat Client. (Note: Does not work quite as well on Terminal Servers.)

Well, that's a start. I could probably go on for another hour but duty calls.

FYI... I was a World user for over 7 years. I have been on One World for about three years. I don't think I could go back, even if I wanted to. I can't remember the last time I touched an F3 key. (There's another one.)

Ken

XE SP 16
Win2000/Oracle 8.1.6.

Here are a couple of others:

QBE - users can narrow down the data on the screen
Sorting - users can change the sort sequence on the screen on the fly

I'm like Ken, I supported End Users for 9 years in World and have been implementing OneWorld for the last 3 years. It's the same difference as between DOS and Windows.

Steve King
Wilbur-Ellis
Configuration Analyst
Implementing Xe on AS/400

I agree with Ken,
but mentioned about sessions, world can logging to different environment for different sessions. But OneWorld only allows 1 environment at a time.

RDA? I personally prefer World Writer.

On Fat Client you can only access on environment at a time, that's true, but if you are using terminal server, you can access many environments at the same time. I often will have the fat client up in one environment and the terminal serve open in another. (I usually try to change the screen color on my fat client so I can tell the difference.) Depending on how the terminal server is configured you can also access multiple environments simultaneously by logging into different servers with each session.

Back