E9.2 Adding new fields to a custom Table

Mrdino

Sorry if this is already out there, I could not find an answer. Adding 3 new fields to the bottom of a custom table (or to the far right or end of the table in UTB).
In the early days, any program that used this table had to be refreshed or re-genned and included in the package build.
I thought I read somewhere that if the new fields are added at the bottom of the table in table design, then you do not need to regen all programs that use this table.
We are on E9.2 on AWS. Any thought appreciated.

Regards, Gary

Sorry if this is already out there, I could not find an answer. Adding 3 new fields to the bottom of a custom table (or to the far right or end of the table in UTB).
In the early days, any program that used this table had to be refreshed or re-genned and included in the package build.
I thought I read somewhere that if the new fields are added at the bottom of the table in table design, then you do not need to regen all programs that use this table.
We are on E9.2 on AWS. Any thought appreciated.

Regards, Gary
You just need to deploy an update package with the table, it will autogenerate the jas specs, clear out glbtbl files, etc. Now if you have business views over this table and you want the columns there you will still need to make those mods. If you are on the latest toolset then you can even leverage form extensions to add new columns directly to the forms even if they are not in the Business View.

Lastly you will still need to generate the table from E1 OMW (backup data first) to get the 3 new columns to reflect on the physical table in the database. In theory, you could also use an ALTER TABLE statement directly on the database but backup, table gen and restore would be preferred.

Last edited:
Depending on your platform you may have to delete SQL Plans and/or SQL Packages also

Sometimes, you'll have to restart your HTML instances as well. Clearing the serialized objects / caches alone doesn't always work. There's a doc id on support regarding that, but I don't have that handy.

If your custom table is used in any C BSFNs you should really do a full build to recompile the C BSFNs with the updated struct definition. For us changing a table structure is an automatic Full Build trigger just to be safe. Too many zombies and other issues in the past with only doing update packages.

Back