Adding an application server

sashton

sashton

Reputable Poster
Hi List,
I am attempting to add an NT App Server to an existing install with DB2 and an AS/400 as the primary enterprise server and database. I have a document on performing this but it was originally designed for Xe and is missing several new features that we use now, primarily server manager. Nonetheless, I think I am close but getting a few errors that I hope are just a few setting changes to correct. I added my app server in server manager, but when I start services I am getting all kinds of errors in the logs about being unable to connect to a datasource or that it can't find a table. I think it may have something to do with JDBNET and whether or not it needs to be used. I am guessing it does. I have attached the "Database Configuration" screens from both my new intel App Server and the primary iSeries Enterprise Server. Can someone tell me if something doesn't look right here? I was kind of guessing at what some of the settings should be, primarily the "JDBNET Use" field, as changing it from Y to N causes lots of different errors. Before troubleshooting the errors though, I want to make sure I have the right settings. Any help is appreciated. The name of our primary enterprise server on the iSeries is WMGENT and the name of the new app server is WMG-VMAPP1. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 160019-Server Settings.doc
    418 KB · Views: 116
For starters, do not use JDBNET. Your windows app server will connect to the tables on the iSeries using the ODBC connections defined in your datasources so there is no need to use JDBNET.

Do you have the ODBC connections defined on the Windows app server? Do you have the tables populated in the server map library that the Windows app server will be using?

Thanks for the response. So I turned JDBNET use to 'N' and tried a PORTTEST. Attached is the log. I do have the ODBC connections setup on Windows app server and I copied my SVM812 library to APPLIB so the tables should all be populated.

Attachments

• 160021-PORTTEST.txt
    153.6 KB · Views: 148
If you copied your AS400 server map library SVM812 to the new library APPLIB which you are using as the server map for your new Windows app server , make sure you have changed the datasource definitions in this server map to use JDBODBC.DLL instead of DBDR.

I did that in the F98611. I set the OMDLLNAME = 'JDBODBC.DLL' where OMSRVR='ENTERPRISE SERVER' Is this the only place I need to set that value?

Ok if you updated APPLIB/F98611 thats good , the only other reference I can think off is in the DB system Settings section of the INI file , not sure when going thru Server Manager how it would translate , but check the INI file directly on the server and check if it has the below

Load Library=JDBODBC.DLL (I did check this on an ERP 8 box , do not have access to an 8.12 box)

From your logs it does have some reference of JDBODBC , but something still missing on the datasource configuration side.

Do you also have the correct Client Access / iSeries ODBC driver installed on the Windows box ?

This could also be a spec issue. Have you deployed the full package to this new server (updated the spec.ini file)

I had a Windows app server running in our Xe AS400 environment and also have several up and running now in our E1 9.0 environment that recently went live. We are on 9.0 and 8.98.2.3, not exactly the same as you, but it is probably similar.

Among many other things, what I found was that the SQL for omdllname was no longer relevant.

Some things to watch out for:

Did you apply the new tools release to the Windows box?

Make sure journalling is turned on for F986110 and F986111 in the new app lib.

Make sure you have an entry for the new Windows server in the F986111 for the new app lib.

Make sure you have a DSN on the Windows box that is named the same as your AS400 and is pointing to the system library.

Make sure you have entries in your existing system and server map F98611 for the new Windows server (three entries: SERVER - 812 Server Map, SERVER - Logic, SERVER)

Thanks for everyone's responses. I think I am getting closer now thanks to your tips and suggestions. So I was able to get the box up and running. First I decided to build a full package on the box in order to get all the spec and code in synch with what is on the deployment box. Once the full kicked off, none of the BSFN would compile, so I validated all my Environment Variables, rebooted, and started the build again. This time around, the Server log shows the following:

Thu Jul 01 02:54:42 - Received request to retrieve status for CALLBSFN.
Thu Jul 01 02:54:42 - Status for business function dll object CALLBSFN = PROCESSING.
Thu Jul 01 02:54:42 - Status retrieved now sending message back to the build machine.
Thu Jul 01 02:54:42 - Message sent

And it repeats over and over again every min like nothing is happening. Looking at the task manager, all the jobs seem to be idle. The package has been running all night long so it appears to not be building still. Anyone have any ideas? I have attached what the task manager jobs look like.

Attachments

• 160055-Task Manager.doc
    137.5 KB · Views: 105
Back