Accessing AS400 non JDE format files from E810

doddsf

Our issue is, we come from a AS400 JDE Edwards World A73 system migrating to OneWorld E810.
Our company like many other companies doesn't just use JDE. We have some custom systems like our Commissions system that was homegrown and written in RPG and we have other homegrown systems. We had modifications in our old World JDE RPG code that had to access some of these non-JDE files from these external systems. These files were created in DDS, not using JDE naming conventions or the Data dictionary. We have to bring this same functionality into our E810 system so we need to modify the code for certain programs to bring in information from these non-JDE files. I don't believe this issue is specific only to our company. I consulted for one of JDE's biggest consulting firms for 5 years. I know that most of JDE's customer base came over from the AS400. And I was never on a client that ran JDE exclusively, so other companies had to have overcome this issue. Our non-JDE formated files can’t be re-created because they have existed for many years and there are thousands of RPG programs over them and those systems are not going to change. So we need someone who knows and understands the AS400 and files created on the 400 to address this. It is a huge issue and I know it just can't be blown over saying just re-create those files in the new E1 environment. It can't be done for our purposes and the files are too large to try to create a temp file or something like that. We need to access this data in real time. I have read some white papers concerning SQL views but I can't get them to work. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I searched here on the site but didn't find exactly what I was looking for.

Thanks!

Dodds,

SQLViews (Virtual JDE Files) - can be a pain to troubleshoot...

You may have to create Custom '55' Data Dictionary items for each of the columns in the exiting table. You will have to define the new DD item to exactly match the description of the real column in the Native/Live table.

You do not have to exactly match the column layout of the table you are Virtualizing - but (this is important) you DO HAVE TO MATCH THE DISTINCTNESS (the Primary Keys) of the table. SQL Views are DISTINCT!

The biggest headaches I've had with Virtual Tables has been Security on the AS/400. Make sure the DBA/whoever maintains the same security for the SQL View - that all other JDE data tables reside.

Do Not Create the Virtual Table (or Indexes) in JDE!

HTH - and feel free to holler.

PS - I see that you guys do realty... On your World Implementation, did you use the Org Structure much? If so - there is no OS in E1 (but there is a solution, if you guys need one).

(db)

Thanks. I have the SQL views working but some of the data doesn't translate properly. I think I will have to change the data type for the items that aren't translating and see if I can get it to translate properly. And I asked about the Org structure and they started it in world but didn't finish and we use S-base now so we won't use it in E1. Thanks anyway!
Cheers!

Back