A7.3 SP16 and Web Enablement

Dunnottar

I have a client currently on A7.3 CUM 6 currently considering an upgrade to SP16 and web enablement. I understand web was available under SP15. Has anyone implemented the web enablement on World especially A7.3 and did they find any issues or problems

We are on A7.3 cum. 14 using World Vision. We tested A7.3 cum. 16 but did not implement because it does not have the same copy/paste function as World Vision. Our accounting department uses this feature to take subfile data into spreadsheets.

Morgan Simpson
IT Application Support Adm.
Brazos Electric Cooperative
office (254) 750-6235
fax (254) 750-6558

We have not done this but we were considering it. Be careful that the web interface is deployed via HTML but the new A9.1 version is to be delpoyed via Java.
In terms of copy/paste from subfiles, this sounds like a fairly dodgy practice (no offence
wink.gif
) because to open a sub-file requires user authority way beyond that we are prepared to give. I would recommend use of a third party tool such as EasyReporting or Showcase. These would also be more efficient.

Make sure you are aware of all the hardware/server requirements if you go to Cum 16 (your Oracle rep should be able to update you on this) but do consider your longer term strategy in terms of what's beyond Cum 16.

Could you expand on this? There are subfiles in many standard World
functions. In what way does opening a subfile require extra authority
over running a non-subfile program, and why is this a bad thing?

I was referring more to the copy and pasting from the subfiles. It leaves us open to user error, user misuse etc, command line access. A controlled black-boxed download via ODBC that the user cannot amend is preferable to our security strategy.

I see. Yes, that makes sense. I'd misinterpreted what you were saying.
So copy/paste from the World is prevented entirely?

Another problem with Copy/Paste of course is that it gets very
long-winded and error-prone if there is a large amount of data to
copy.

--
Dave...

I upgraded my installation to CUM 15 last year. CUM 16 was available at the time, and has some nice things like Employee Self-Service module. We tried using the web enablement, and found that it was not the best interface.
Also, if you have any video's modified - adding fields in the DDS or otherwise using non-stock video's, the web translator does not do a good job of dynamically transforming the video's in the CUM unless you have purchased the tool from Oracle that allows you to do so. The price for the tool is not cheap and we had not budgeted for it.
When we discovered that, we held off on moving to CUM 16 or working with the web interface as we have a few modifications that would be impacted.
We have also noticed some video's in CUM 15 behaving with unexpected results if you use the WorldVision product for your interface. Green screen seems to be fine.

Back