A way to capture local device name

Gomer79

Gomer79

Well Known Member
I am looking for a way to capture the local computer or device ID within JDE and am not having much success. I can capture the web server ID but not the device the user is actually physically at. Does anyone know of a way? Thanks in advance.

B9800100 Get Audit Info has 2 fields you may like
Workstation JOBN
MachineKey MKEY

Thanks for the reply. I am going feel really dumb if Machine Key gets us what we want as I have used get audit info many times but never paid much attention to that value as it was not one of the "standard" JDE audit fields. Job Number seems to grab the name of the server when not being run a fat client and not the actual PC or laptop the user is on. I had already tried a function called GetLocalcOmputerID (although this returns a value called MachineKey) without success so I will check on MachineKey from Get audit info. Thanks again and if anyone else has ideas please feel free to share. Thanks.

I will let you know if that works although since the business function I tried also returned machine key and that did not work on the server only returning the server ID instead of the PC id I am not holding out a lot of hope. We are using IE 9.0 for our browser on PCs and laptops.

I'm sure you won't get what you're looking for. You need something running on the PC.

This script will work in IE for retrieving the machine name, but might need some permissions for your domain.

<BODY>
<Script Type = "text/JavaScript">
try
{
var ax = new ActiveXObject("WScript.Network");

// ax.ComputerName will contain what you're looking for.
}

</Script>
</Body>

After this runs you will need to update a field on the form, so E1 can get a hold of it.

Why do you need the machine name anyway?

I really wish Oracle would provide us with a standardized way of getting web client info like host name. Is there an Oracle provided, standardized way to get the IP address of the Web Client w/o having to resort to embedded JavaScript?

There are probably a lot of uses in addition to simple audit tracking.

Thanks for the idea. I have not tried something like this before so I am not sure if it would even be allowed.

We are looking for a way to identify on what device transactions are occurring since technically there is nothing preventing a user from logging in on say their desk PC and then also a scan gun in the distribution center.

Thanks again for the help and I may need more if we end up doing the route you suggested.

I've had a handful of these projects. The problem really lies in the fact that Oracle has zero client side capabilities offered to the developer. Everything the dev tools offer is server side, except for painting the screen, but even that is sort of restricted.

I've written JS to press buttons (so screens never time-out), large display windows (so data collection people can read what they scanned from 30 feet), auto field updates (so exit events automatically trigger), entry validation (so the server doesnt get informed of entry until the entry is valid).

But, you're right. The big question is always; can we maintain this code, and what happens when we make changes. Many companies are not comfortable with development that is non-standard.

Good Luck!

Natively, there is no way to retrieve anything-more than the Server name where the UBE/App is run.

This is a huge hole in E1 Security. You cannot define a location, where machines can/cannot access functional areas or screens. For example, you can't define that PCs that start with "PLANT*" cannot access HR Appls....

From an auditing standpoint, you can't identify what PC updated a record - only the assumed user and time stamp.

The request hit's oracle, regularly - it hasn't moved anywhere.

I guess we can all nag the nice folks at Oracle, some more?

(db)

It's more than just security. As an example, our POS system is written as a Java based web application created outside of JDE (communicates with JDE via XMLCallObject) and we are currently working on a project to implement new PCI compliant credit card devices. In order for this to work the device has to be "paired" with the client workstation via IP address. In other words, the app server facilitates messages between the user's workstation/web browser session and the credit card device so when a POS session is started on a workstation we need to know which credit card device to send messages to based on the IP address of the workstation. This is not any big deal since this is written outside of JDE and we can easily get the IP address of the client workstation but if we were to try and do the same thing inside JDE using the JDE toolset we would have to figure out someway to get the IP address of the client. Probably using embedded JavaScript.

Anyone have any idea if the proposed java script solution would work on windows CE 5.0 running MSIE 6.0? We have scan guns running JDE on this platform and I am having issues finding documentation on Java Script support. It looks it may have the JavaScript 5.7 engine if that is any help. Thanks everyone.

Funny you should mention it.

No, CE5 with embedded MSIE6 does not FULLY support JS (Attaching to controls is not possible.) CE.NET and Win Mobile 6.1 do, however.

I had a client ask the same thing 6 years ago.

That is what I feared. Any other ideas on getting that device name off a scan gun with that OS/Browser? Thanks.

If you're using DSI anywhere in the process, apparently the device name is passed through.
I can find out more if you like, but if you're not using DSI then it maybe pointless

Each device gets name on our system

For those of you going to Collaborate 2014, feel free to raise this as an enhancement request in one of the two JDE E1 Tech SIG - Development sessions. Part 1 will be on Monday, April 7 from 2:10 - 3:10PM and Part 2 will be on Friday, April 11 from 11:00AM - 12:00 noon.

That's different. The DSI client software has a 'name' that you assign as part of the setup. It doesn't have to be anything special, or even associated to the device.

Just an FYI you were right it did not work. Still looking at our options across all our devices. Thanks again everyone and please plug having this functionality with the Tech SIG next week.

Back