E9.2 64-bit purpose

jhsiao520123

Dears,
I am non-techie at all and so not sure how to conclude the pros/cons suggestions to the project manager between 32/64 bits comparison. In fact, this is the newly installed project and we are not live yet. Do not know what concerns the PM has but he is pretty hesitate to ask CNC consultant to reinstall the system with enabled 64-bit (existing 9.2 + TR 9.2.5.5). Afraid of the overbudget? Maybe. But I would find reasons to let him know (by my opinion) it's a mistake to have the new installation 9.2 but is with 32-bit enabled only. Thanks for any your inputs !

Regards,
John

Without knowing all the other contributing factors that went into the decision for 32bit, if this is a new install it probably should have been 64bit from the start. But there may have been valid reasons for the decision to go 32bit (maybe there were known 64bit issues on TR9.2.5.5???? maybe just an abundance of caution??? maybe you have some custom integrations that require 32bit????). At some point 32bit will no longer be supported and you will have to convert to 64bit so if there are costs associated with switching to 64bit they will either be incurred now or later.

Hi Brian,
Thanks for the comments. In fact, none of your assumed factors happened to us. The project is pending for a while and no customizations or integrations start to work yet, also no 64-bits issues found on TR 9255, yet. I can only think of 2 possible reasons that PM's concerned:
1. The CNC consultants asked for extra days to enable the 64-bit infrastructure, and PM likes to control the project budget.
2. PM is looking for other JD Edwards customers for reference here in Taiwan, however not many of them are with TR 9.2.6 yet. (actually, it has a small number of new clients or upgraded cases in Taiwan every year. And that's why I plan to collect comments from the Lists here providing a broad view to PM for reference)
Thanks again!
John

Hi John,

Going live with 32-bit may be within the PM's budget in the short term but it will cost more eventually.

Dears,
I am non-techie at all and so not sure how to conclude the pros/cons suggestions to the project manager between 32/64 bits comparison. In fact, this is the newly installed project and we are not live yet. Do not know what concerns the PM has but he is pretty hesitate to ask CNC consultant to reinstall the system with enabled 64-bit (existing 9.2 + TR 9.2.5.5). Afraid of the overbudget? Maybe. But I would find reasons to let him know (by my opinion) it's a mistake to have the new installation 9.2 but is with 32-bit enabled only. Thanks for any your inputs !

Regards,
John
Hi John,

If you plan to use Logic Extensions on Orchestrator running Business Functions, you'll have to be on 64-bit.

x32 will be phased out at some point, x64 is the future, best to be there already when that happens

Not sure how far along you are in testing and retrofit effort so that may also be playing a factor as there would be potential re-work associated with that however 64-bit makes the most sense going forward as you will have to eventually move to it at some point if you stay current with JDE as all of the new updates are 64-bit. Release 22 is 64-bit and all updates going forward will be as well. The question is will it spend more time and cost more money to make the move now or later if JDE is your plan long term.