3.5 minutes to log into 9.1 (9.1.5.2)

Michael L.

Well Known Member
Hi List, hoping someone might point me in the right direction. We have just upgraded to 9.1, TR 9.1.5.2 on net new Power 7 hardware. With zero users on the system it takes between 3 and 3.5 minutes to log in. Performance seems to be reasonable once signed in. If I sign out and back in it takes less than 2 seconds every time. If I wait a few hours then try again it takes 3 to 3.5 minutes, services are not restarted. I can consistently repeat this.

We autostart 1 call object and 2 security kernels. Our shared data sources are on a separate partition within the same physical Power 7.

I have a ton of ram and disk on my ‘400’ much more than I did on my V6R2 iseries 400 and mostly anything J.D. Edwards related is in a shared pool with more than enough dedicated memory. Our IBM i partitions are current with the group PTF’s and meets the IBM APAR for 7.2.

If you have the time to suggest anything I can look at or try, it would be much appreciated.

Thank you,

9.1 Update 2
9.1.5.2 (with POC for BUG – 20439937)
Planner ESU – JM17096
Fix Current to Feb 7th, 2015
Power 7, V7R2 (IBM i Access for Windows SP SI53584)
Web Sever – WebLogic 12C (12.1.3.0)

turn on logging on web server
turn on logging on enterprise server

post the logs

Michael,

My guess is that you need to Populate the caches. Try this...
1. Go to Server Manager and cycle the JAS instance.
2. Take the link to see the caches, they should show 0 records cached.
3. Start login.
4. Go back to SM you will see the caches build, (and it will take a long time).
5. After you have successfully logged in. Log back out.
6. Try logging in again, now with the caches built, it will go pretty fast.

You will also find if you log in as a different user, it will still be faster, because the cache has already been built. As far as I know, this has been a JDE 'feature' since it went to the web.

If you don't find this to be the case then I made a bad guess with insufficient data.

Tom

BTW, you can get the same thing by simply clearing all the caches from SM. It will be a little faster because it doesn't have to do the package discovery, and some internal caches will already be built, but everything else will still take a while.

Tom

Thanks for responding. We had already eliminated cache as being an issue and you are correct, after waiting 3.5 minutes to log in the first time, logging out and back in takes < 2 seconds. What we, IBM and Oracle have not been able to figure out yet is the initial 3.5 minutes to log in with zero user on the system, cache populated and the CPU% on the enterprise server at < 3% busy. This is a net new Power 7 and our first attempts at logging in to our new and upgraded 9.1 JDV910 environment. Guessing it's something like the level of the jt400.jar file or a missing PTF. I'll be sure to post the resolution once we figure it out.

Just brainstorming here but is there any chance you've got something pointing to an invalid security server and after 3.5 minutes it looks for alternative?

As promised here is what fixed our issue. If your IBM i 7.2 and 9.1.5.2 (not sure if this is required for anything < than 9.1.5.2) you'll likely need PTF SI55799. Also, be very careful with the latest SP for IBM i access for windows. The platform pack was writing garbage to many of the tables. We backed that out and went one previous to current and that was the fix for us.

Thanks again to all that responded.

Back