1 Understanding JD Edwards EnterpriseOne and IBM i

This chapter contains the following topics:

1.1 Understanding This Guide

This guide is designed to direct you through a basic JD Edwards EnterpriseOne installation using the Oracle JD Edwards Express Installation disk images and a special Platform Pack installer for IBM i on POWER System (hereafter in this guide referred to as IBM i) which delivers the Platform Pack, Server Manager Agent and HTML Server.

Note:

Always check My Oracle Support (MOS) for updates to this document. Generally, this document is republished in its entirety only for the next major applications release of JD Edwards EnterpriseOne. This Express Installation document can be located on MOS by using the link provided in this Documentation Overview document: IBM i Express Installation for JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Documentation Overview (Doc ID 1288002.1) https://support.us.oracle.com/oip/faces/secure/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=1288002.1

Important:

The JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Express Installation solution for IBM i must be installed on a POWER System or POWER System LPAR (logical partition) which does not already have JD Edwards EnterpriseOne components. Common JD Edwards EnterpriseOne components include but are not limited to JD Edwards EnterpriseOne libraries, IFS folders, and OW Journals.

This guide contains only the procedures required for a standard installation with all standard environments and databases. Additional components may be added after the Express Installation by following procedures in the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications Release 9.0 Installation Guide for iSeries, which is available in this document on My Oracle Support (MOS):

JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications Release 9.0 Installation Guides, Update (Doc ID 705463.1)

https://support.us.oracle.com/oip/faces/secure/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=705463.1

In the above MOS document, locate and download this attachment:

9.0_install_as400.pdf

Important:

The instructions in the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne installation guide for IBM assume that the IBM i host has IBM WebSphere 7.0 Express Edition installed using the default installation path along with other relevant MTRs. See Section 4.8, "Setting Up a Network Share for iSeries Root" in this document for instructions regarding sharing the root folder. This is a requirement if following the IBM i host IBM WebSphere 7.0 installation guide to the letter.

For instructions on using IBM WebSphere 7.0 with JD Edwards EnterpriseOne, refer to the MOS document entitled:

JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Tools 8.98 Update 3 IBM WebSphere Application Server 7.0 Certification (Doc ID 1086578.1)

https://support.us.oracle.com/oip/faces/secure/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=1086578.1

In the above MOS document, locate and download this attachment:

8.98.3_HTML_Web_Server_Reference_Guide_WAS70_IBMi.pdf

Review the Oracle JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Express Installation Minimum Technical Requirements (MTRs) for specific details. Then follow the HTML Web Server guide to install IBM WebSphere 7.0 Express with the currently supported Fixpack and/or iFixes as specified in the MTRs.

When installing IBM WebSphere 7.0, this default install path must be used or the installation and configuration will fail:

/QIBM/ProdData/WebSphere/AppServer/V7/Express

This guide is designed for management information system (MIS) managers and installers. It outlines the procedures for installing Release 9.0. To successfully install Release 9.0, a rudimentary understanding of the following is required:

• Hardware and software requirements

• Database setup and management

• Enterprise platforms and operating systems

At a minimum, review these guides before beginning:

In addition, it is recommended to complete the IBM i database product courses provided by IBM.

1.2 Understanding the Installation Process

This documentation explains how to install Release 9.0 software using this five (5) step installation process:

• Install Change Assistant

Note:

The Change Assistant install download is available on My Oracle Support on the Electronic Software Updates page at this link:

https://jde.oracle.com/softwaredownloads/home/content/documents/ChangeAssistant.html

• Install the Deployment Server (see below for concurrent operations)

• Install the Enterprise, Database and HTML Server on a single IBM i machine.

Note:

For Release 9.0, the current terminology and that used in this guide is to refer to the Java Application Server (JAS) machine running the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne HTML Server. Functionally, these terms are all synonymous. However, this guide only uses the terms JAS or Java Server when explicitly labeled as such by the software.
  • Install Server Manager.

Note:

Download Server Manager from http://edelivery.oracle.com/ and follow the installation instructions in the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Server Manager Guide. This installation process assumes that Server Manager has been installed on the Deployment Server. The control files for the IBM i Server Manager Agents are updated to reference the Deployment Server.
  • Install the workstations for developers and system administrators

Note:

The installer for IBM i runs on a Windows machine. It is strongly recommended that this installer executes on the Deployment Server as the Oracle Universal Installer (OUI) inventory will be stored on the Windows machine used to perform the install.

Both the Express Installation Deployment Server and the IBM i Express Installation contain a complete install of the four standard environments (PS900, PY900, PD900 and DV900) - with ESUs applied. This greatly reduces the overall install time for the server.

See Also:

1.2.1 Understanding the Deployment Server Installation

The Deployment Server is the focus of the Release 9.0 installation process. The installation program for the Deployment Server copies the Release 9.0 software and a language, if applicable, from the disk images to the Deployment Server. From the Deployment Server, the Release 9.0 software is distributed to one or more workstations. When running the Installer for the IBM i Platform Pack on the Deployment Server, these two installs need to be run sequentially. They cannot be run concurrently.

The Deployment Server installation program updates the Microsoft Windows registry with information about the Release 9.0 installation and languages, if applicable.

For more information on Language support, see the "Language Process Overview" section in the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications Release 9.0 Installation Guide for iSeries.

1.2.2 Understanding the installation of the Enterprise, Database and HTML Web Server on IBM i

The Express Installation for IBM i completely installs of these four standard environments:

• PS900

• PY900

• PD900

• DV900

The Express Installation for IBM i also completely installs the HTML Web Server with four standard environments. The installer for the IBM i updates the database tables and control files on the server with your IBM i machine name.

1.2.3 Understanding the Development Client Installation

The Development Client is installed on the workstations from the Deployment Server. The Development Client is installed on workstations using the Workstation Installation program. During the installation, a stand-alone Microsoft Windows application reads the deployment preferences information from the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne system tables to drive the workstation installation process.

1.3 Accessing Minimum Technical Requirements

Customers must conform to the supported platforms for the release as detailed in the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Minimum Technical Requirements. In addition, JD Edwards EnterpriseOne may integrate, interface, or work in conjunction with other Oracle products. Refer to the following link for cross-reference material in the Program Documentation for Program prerequisites and version cross-reference documents to assure compatibility of various Oracle products.http://www.oracle.com/corporate/contracts/index.htmlAccess the current Minimum Technical Requirements (MTR) for the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne products from My Oracle Support:

JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Current MTR Index (Doc ID 747323.1)

https://support.us.oracle.com/oip/faces/secure/km/DocumentDisplay.jspx?id=747323.1

1.4 Working With the Customer Checklist

The Release 9.0 support structure consists of components such as databases, operating systems, and hardware. To install Release 9.0 successfully, set up the support structure before starting the installation process.

The tasks in this section are designed to prepare the customer's system for the installation process. Some of the tasks, such as checking that the appropriate hardware and software are available, can take some time to complete. Other tasks are quick and easy.

This checklist helps to organize the required upgrade preparation:

• Review the Section called Environments Overview.

• Assess the network.

• Verify that the Deployment Server hardware and software meet minimum technical requirements.

• Verify that the IBM i hardware and software meet minimum technical requirements.

• Verify that the workstation hardware and software meet minimum technical requirements.

• Verify that the Deployment Server disk space meets minimum technical requirements.

• Verify that the host disk space meets minimum technical requirements.

1.5 Working With the Pre-Install Worksheet

A Pre-Install Worksheet is provided in Section 4.1, "Completing the Pre-Install Worksheet" to gather information about your planned installation prior to running the IBM i Express Installation. Using this worksheet decreases the chances for data entry errors and makes for a documented and repeatable process. Since the scripts used to update the database and control files on the IBM i host are designed to execute only once, incorrect deployment will necessitate deinstalling and reinstalling the IBM i Express Installation.

1.6 Environments Overview

The HTML Web Server (J) environments have the same mappings as the regular environments with the exception of logic, all of which is mapped to run on the Enterprise Server.

Each environment shipped with Release 9.0 has a specific use. For more detail, refer to these sections in the JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications Release 9.0 Installation Guide for iSeries:

• Understanding Environments

• Planner Environment (JDEPLAN)

• Pristine Environment (PS900)

• Deployment Environment (DEP900)

• Prototype Environment (PY900)

• Production Environment (PD900)

• Development Environment (DV900)

• Additional Considerations

See Also:

JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications Release 9.0 Installation Guide for iSeries, which is available in this document on My Oracle Support:

JD Edwards EnterpriseOne Applications Release 9.0 Installation Guides, Update (Doc ID 705463.1)

https://support.oracle.com/CSP/ui/flash.html#tab=KBHome(page=KBHome&id=()),(page=KBNavigator&id=(bmDocID=705463.1&from=BOOKMARK&bmDocDsrc=KB&viewingMode=1143))