Master Business Functions for a given table

johndanter

johndanter

Legendary Poster
Hi folks,

I am embarking on developing a rapid Item Add tool for my company and have several target tables to hit. Listed below.

I'd prefer to use master business functions to do each one, to ensure correct data integrity etc, but I am kind of struggling to find a list anywhere that explains what the JDe master BSFNs maybe for each table.
I've added the list below, can anyone help me out with an E1 doc or cdo they just know the application/bsfn that adds these target table records.

Should I look for things like this in C "JDB_InsertTable(hRequestF41021"

Thanks

John

F4101 P4101 W4101A F4101ProcessMasterData(N4101060.F4101ProcessMasterData)
F4102 P41026 W41026A F4101ProcessMasterData(N4101060.F4101ProcessMasterData)
F41021
F4105 P4105 W4105A
F4106
F4908
F30026
F40540
F410002
F41061
F43090
F554101 (custom)
F554102 (custom)

Last edited:
I just finished a project for my company - "Express Item Setup". There are MBFs that will do everything but they are a little counter-intuitive imo. I did the normal reverse engineer thing with the item master APPLs by looking at the code and more importantly the debug log. The debug log will give kind of an incorrect picture of what you need to call - it will call a BSFN 50x when in reality you may only need to call it once. Good thing these apps are for master data setup and not for business transactions because they look to be horribly inefficient.

My application is very specific to quickly setup items master/branch, cost, uom conversions, BOMs, routings, etc. so I might not call everything you need to call and may call some things you don't. Just quickly glancing through the main part of the code, these are some of the main calls you will probably need to make.

F4101ProcessMasterData
EditRetrieveDeleteCategoryCodes
EditRetrieveDeleteManufacturing
EditRetrieveDeleteCustService
UpdateItemProcessData
< series of various calls as well as table I/O for UOM conversions, costs, boms, routings, etc. >

Honestly, I would just use the debug log to reverse engineer what calls you need to make. Just keep in mind you may see EditRetrieveDeleteCategoryCodes called 50 times when in reality you will only need to call it once. It looks like all the MBF calls edit data in a series of work tables (although they don't have the normal JDE work table naming convention) as well as the actual master tables and then, if I remember correctly, UpdateItemProcessData finishes updating the master tables with data in some of the various work tables.

I've done item setup via MBF and TableIO. I'll never do the MBFs again. They are a mess. I created a template item, copy that in C, and get new short item # and adjust necessary fields and do table inserts. I know it's taboo but it's quicker and item setup isn't as complicated as say inventory or sales.

My 2 cents.

Thanks lads, that's great info.

What I have proposed to do is get a 'golden item' they select to clone and then take them to a headerless detail screen that inherits most fields from the golden item in the header and then one grid record with a blank MCU.
They then add extra MCU grid lines if needed and I also pre populate the TGC records with values from the golden item they are cloning.

They change what they want to make it unique, click OK and I create a worktable that holds the golden item and the fields they want to change. Then I call a UBE to read that worktable and do the dirty work

I may not need a UBE and can just do it all in the OK, but I'm not a fan of putting too much processing into APPLs due to timeouts etc.

Craig's auto variable generating tools is going to be sooooo handy here :)

Last edited:
Back