How to use AIX batch logic with AS400/db2

RaptorOfWest

Hi

Needed some help on how to use AIX to connect DB2..We currently are using AIX platform to host our JDE 9.10, which is based on Oracle 11g database. The logic, web and db al reside on the AIX machines. Now we have a conversion requirement where we need to access a foreign table from AS400/DB2 world soft system.

This is a JDE UBE which connects and fetch data from world tables and inserts into JDE with some logic. Now we can work it through Windows(easier) also we can connect similarly to SQL database but couldnt work out how to connect AS400/DB2

Can anyone who may have any insight share their thoughts if this is possible and what can be the options...much appreciated

Error - no driver found, unable to init connect
Steps done - created an environment, datasource with AS400 server and owner(Business Data - As400), added OCM for UBE to process in E910)

Env- AIX 7.1 with JDE 9.1 on Oracle 11g, Foreign - V6r1 AS400/db2 on world soft.

(the steps above works for MSSQL from AIX)

You could use JDBNET for this but you will require an Enterprise server that is able to access the World data on the AS/400.

JDBNET is essentially JDEBASE (the JDE middleware) routed over JDENET (the JDE communications protocol). Any JDE enteprise server can host JDBNET connections against databases that it has physical access to (Has the necessary drivers and configuration). The performance will be slower than direct access but it works well. In fact I ran an AIX lab server with no local disk storage allocated to JDE other than the JDE binaries. I piped through a Windows enteprise server over JDBNET to access the main JDE databases on an AS/400. I did it to more to prove the concept than to save on disk space but I left it running that way since it just worked.

I see two options for using JDBNET in this scenario: 1) Install the E1 services on the World AS/400. These would be used strictly to host the JDBNET connection and access the physical data. 2) Install E1 services on a Windows server that has Client Access installed and therefore can use ODBC to fetch the data from the AS/400 and pipe it back to your AIX box via JDBNET.

I have used both scenarios in the past to read World data directly into E1 UBE/Table Conversions. In addition to the JDBNET connection I had to create views on the AS/400 over the World data to massage the table structure into one that matched the E1 table definition.

Of course running an extra enterprise server does add complexity to your environment. The times I have used this design I have weighed that complexity against the options which were things like flat file extracts from the source system and FTP transfer. Keeping a JDBNET only enterprise server running on an AS/400 takes little effort so other than the setup time I usually feel that it is a better options than coding flat file extracts in RPG and then managing file transfers on an ongoing basis.

Back