• Welcome to the upgraded JDELIST forum and thank you for your patience.
    Please restrict discussions and issues regarding the new forum software to the Off Topic forum. We will be monitoring that forum for issues.
    If you have trouble logging in, please reset your password using the forgotten password form: https://www.jdelist.com/community/index.php?lost-password/
    If you are unable to successfully reset your password, please contact us: Click here!
    We hope that you enjoy the upgraded forum.
  • Introducing Dark Mode! Switch by clicking on the lightbulb icon next to Search or by clicking on Default style at the bottom left of the page!

Fixed Assets

ymchou

Need some help on capital allowances.

Take an example of a machinery that costs $100,000 bought in April, year 2002. Capital allowance is based on a full year's depreciation regardless of the period the asset is purchased.

This asset bears an initial allowance of 20% on cost and annual allowance of 12% on cost. It also qualifies for re-investment allowance of 60% of cost.

Both the initial allowance and re-investment is fully taken up in the 1st year.

Annual allowance will start from the 1st year until fully allowed.

In Yr 2002, IA = $20,000; RA= $60,000 and AA = $12,000
Subsequents years, only AA @ $12,000 per annum.

IA + AA = Cost of Assets
RA = Additional allowance on top of the Cost of Asset.

Since for managment purposes, capital allowances is calculated monthly, both IA & RA is fully take up in the 1st month of depreciation.

The annual allowance for Year2002 will be apportioned out over 9 months ( bought in April).

What would be the best way to set up the depreciation?

I'm using D1 as my tax ledger.
I'm wondering whether I can define a depreciation so that only D1 ledger will suffice. But I think this is impossible.

It would be easier to have 2 ledgers e.g D1 to take care of IA and RA and D2 to take care of AA.

Would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

TQ.