Active X in internet explorer - ole attachment or link

rival

Dear all,

Today I was analysing our ole objects which were attached during the last 20 years in JDE. We are checking how to move on by not supporting the active X anymore. But I have 2 questions:

1 How can I see in JDE if the ole object was attached with or without the "link" option ( link means you can change the file on another fileshare and the result is seen in JDE) in the table F00165 I don't see the difference.

2 What can we use as alternative for the link option? So I want to attach a document via media objects on several directories. after changing it on the central fileshare the change must be seen by JDE when opening the attachment.

Thank you so much for your answers

Thank you alex for the link to the document. I was hoping you could help met with my analysis. How can I see which ole records in F00165 were created with the link options to a fileshare and which ones are attached as a file.

Object Linking and Embedding (OLE) is a Microsoft technology which allows for embedding the attachment into the file and then retrieving the file for viewing. This was built entirely around ActiveX and therefore these type of attachments are unviewable by any browser other than IE.

Oracle provides no support for converting OLE File Attachments – you’re on your own.

We had over 250,000 OLE Documents …

We dumped ActiveX / OLE and went to Chrome for our web browser.
We used a combination of tools for converting Media Objects including one Everest Software has for converting OLE documents. As far as I know its the only tool available for converting JDE OLE documents.

In the non-ActiveX environment JDE uploads the file to one folder - htmlupload - and points the F00165 entry to that.
We came up with a approach to move the files (after they're added/attached) to a folder pointed at by their Media Object "Object Name" or GT Type. We have close to 50 folders that MO Attachments reside in - pointed to by P98MOQUE. To do that we created a DB Trigger on F00165. In the After Add/Insert event we: 1) Move the file from htmlupload to the appropriate folder; 2) While moving we also rename the file so the file name contains the critical Object name and TXKY information - that way we can see from the file name what its parent is; 3) Update the F00165 entry with the new MO Queue and File name.

We did some other interesting stuff but I'll save that for another post

Last edited:
Thx Larry, wow you do a lot of interesting things.. unfortunately you have to be that creative because Oracle won't help you in phase out ole.

One question: What option do you use for linking the documents? So that user 1 changes a file on the fileshare and that another user which open the linked file in JDE attachment see the changed results. ( like the link option in ole)

Not to hijack this thread, but to hijack this thread...

Larry, didn't you give a quest tech sig presentation on switching from IE to Chrome last year? Thought I saw that on the calendar but wasn't able to attend. Are those recorded and available in an archive somewhere? As part of our upgrade we are trying to switch from IE to Chrome and I can sense a resistance movement mounting as certain IE only functionality is not available in Chrome. Need to arm myself with as much knowledge as possible.

Brian, you are correct... ole is just one of the things you will not have on chrome.. The excel export and import will change as well. We have the , as decimal in our country, and this is also an issue with excel export and tools release 9.2.4.2. Migrating RTF text attachments to HTMl with standard conversion method from oracle is failing when there is only 1 not western character in the text file...

So a long journey ahead.. we are not started yet, only gathering info for management...

Its unfortunate that no one seems to be able to follow correct CSV standards (RFC 4180). If they did commas, quotes, etc. would not be a problem. You can even send binaries via CSV.

Import directly from Excel is one of the things I think is going to cause the most frustration with Chrome vs IE for us.

Brian - Yes I did give a presentation. Don't know if it was recorded or not.
PM me your email and I'll send you something

Thx Larry, wow you do a lot of interesting things.. unfortunately you have to be that creative because Oracle won't help you in phase out ole.

One question: What option do you use for linking the documents? So that user 1 changes a file on the fileshare and that another user which open the linked file in JDE attachment see the changed results. ( like the link option in ole)

Ok so ... we use attached files in JDE as a Repository. We purposely eliminated use cases that would require editing documents in place.
I don't know if that's still possible - we didn't want to so haven't explored it.

I work with Larry, so I'll add to his replies. We do have one department (our maintenance group) that stores maintenance procedures on a network file share. We created media object queues for them, and they add these in as File type attachments from those MO queues. These files don't show up as viewable inline, but the user can download a local copy and then open it up to view/print it. Edits are done within the network file share folder directly.

Hi All,

As chrome doesn't support OLE attachments, what can be the best approach to view and update excel files without downloading and uploading the files.

Thank you.

Back