Time Zone Support with E1 9.1

jdel6654

VIP Member
I read a cool white paper written by Michael Guerra (Oracle) about time zone support in E1. Apparently there are several enhancements in recent tools releases that make it possible to support multiple time zones. The time is stored in the enterprise server's home time zone. Additional JAS instances and ES instances are created that are time zone locale specific.

The documentation read very well considering the complexity of the configuration. I was curious if anyone had tried setting this up.

https://support.oracle.com/CSP/main/article?cmd=show&type=NOT&id=1379886.1

I won't claim to have initiated this enhancement as I am sure there were other sites out there who noticed that netHostName in the JDE.INI wasn't working as documented and forcing the JDENET bind to a specific IP. It has been in the documenation since B7332 but seems to have never worked.

We engaged Oracle in 2010 for 9.0 on HP-UX and Windows and pointed out that the netHostName was being ignored and that the JDENET processes were binding to an unpredictable NIC or Virtual IP. We have been running 5 timezones using configuration techniques similar to the iSeries document on an 8.98.3.4 POC for HP-UX for over a year. The 9.1 support has simplified things over the POC we were given in that only ListenOnSpecific IP and the cluster node settings are required to get multiple instances of JDE running on the same box agaist separate IP addresses and the same port.

Under HP-UX there is a limitation for 32-Bit library loading that required that sharing of BSFN libraries through symbolic links so that all 5 instances could be started without exceeding a 1.8 GB memory limit for all 32-bit processes. I don't think the limitation affects any other Unixes. We only had the POC for Windows finalized a few months ago. I am not sure if Windows support has made it into the 9.1 offering. Oracle's comment was that Windows boxes were generally commodity types and you would just add more boxes so they had focused on Unix and iSeries.

Back