Upgrade: Merging UDCs

DBohner-(db)

Legendary Poster
Howdy,

Maybe one of you have hit this question, and have a good resolution for it?

Facts:
• Upgrade from XE to 9.x
• Lots of Custom UDCs in XE
• Pristine contains both Net Change UDCs and Bicycle/Demo UDCs

Doing a UDC Merge to 9.x will merge the XE, Net Change and Bicycle/Demo UDCs.

We don’t want the Bicycle/Demo UDCs. How do we ‘not’ include the Bicycle/Demo UDCs during our upgrade path?

Thoughts?

(db)

How about backing them up from Pristine, deleting them in Pristine, doing your UDC Merge, and then restoring them into Pristine?

Last edited:
The problem is 'not knowing' what is an Enhancement UDC (based on the upgrade) vs a "Demo Data" UDC.

For example, as was given to me by example:
- In XE, an Advanced Pricing UDC contains three entrees. In 9.1 Pristine, the same UDC contains 10 entrees. At Least Seven of the Pristine Entrees are Specific to Demo/Bicycle Data. There is nothing about the UDC that says, "I am Demo Data".... When a UDC Merge occurs - the Bicycle Data/UDCs are included. Then, when a user goes to use Advanced Pricing - they see the new UDCs and expect that the new UDCs are Enhancements due to the upgrade.

Is there a means to scrubbing the Demo UDCs and keeping the Enhancement UDCs...

That is a sticky wicket! Thanks for clarifying, Dan. Are you sure that the upgrade process will merge Pristine UDC's into your converted environment? I don't recall any such problem in our past upgrades.

Dan,

Do you have access to 9.1 Demo? I'd export the F0005 from Demo and import into a temporary custom table in your new install.

Run SQL queries to compare, contrast and remove demo data from the real F0005.

Don - I was puzzled that:
- Demo Data Existed in Pristine
- That the Upgrade Merged Pristine into the target environment

Always having been on the Development side - I hadn't been part of the UDC Cleansing Team. We'd always setup a "Converted Environment" that maintained the UDCs that were Production Ready... that had already been filtered. How it was identified what was an Enhancement UDC vs something else - I had never been involved in... just trusted the Functional peeps.

I am told, that when the UDC Merge takes place - Pristine's Demo UDCs are being merged.

(db)

Jer,

I do have access to several standalones. If Demo's UDCs are in both Pristine and Standalone and the Enhanced UDCs are in both, also - I'm not visualizing the path to filter them....

Let's see of Oracle comes back with a decent response ??

(db)

Back