Access JDE by a non-user

Rauf

Rauf

VIP Member
Is it possible to access JDE without having a user name ? For example, an employee need to enter his height and weight (HR related info)

Is it essential they enter the info in an E1 screen?

If not.....
Have an external excel file or something they can access and update. You can read from this and key off their name in a certain column??

Obviously you'd need a UBE to read the excel and input what they added in to E1

Is it possible to access JDE without having a user name ?
Nope (at least not through the application layer)

For example, an employee need to enter his height and weight (HR related info)
You'll need to either give them an external application using a service account to update the actual table data or you'll have to give them a temporary user/pass to sign into jd edwards

Hello nkuebelbeck ,

Regarding the second point:

My plan is to
- Give all the employees a common user name and password like user id : "hrinfo", which is related to the role "NONUSER"
- For the role, hide all E1 tasks and task views. Show only one task for the application "P59HRINF"
- While accessing the application P59HRINF, validate the employee with employee number and DOB.
- Once the employee enter matching employee no and DOB, open the fields to edit (height and weight etc).

How is it ? Is there any other methods to achieve the same ?

Last edited:
how will you stop someone from entering a valid employee number and date of another employee?

That is one issue. But the users like to have a minimum number of steps.

I thought to do another method:
- login using employee number and e-mail id.
- send the password to the e-mail id.

But going to the JDE form, then to e-mail, then again to the screen...too much steps :(

It's more easy to build an external web app (only 1 form) and the use a proxy user (under the scene) to write e1 tables

78aspide78,

The issue with external web app(PHP, JSP, or PHP) is that it is very hard to use standard BF, such as AddressBookMBF etc.
Even in JDE, it is very hard...

78aspide78,

The issue with external web app(PHP, JSP, or PHP) is that it is very hard to use standard BF, such as AddressBookMBF etc.
Even in JDE, it is very hard...

Its actually relatively easy once you have the infrastructure set up. Look at the interop guide and XML Call Object or Business Services.

You can use business services to call JDE business functions. But you will need to build an external application that can call the business service.

Yes, once you have done the first time it's easy and fast.
Some advices:
1)don't try to expose the mbf, wrap all into a ner or c function with a less complex data structure
2)create a test app to test the logic into JDE env
3)use the dynamic java connector as preferred interoperability method
4) avoid bssv, it's a complex architecture for a simple use case (unless you all the infrastructure up an running)

If you know how to build the external app I think the jde effort is 1 or 2 day.

Thanks for these points.
But I wonder, most of the ERPs have modules for Self Services for non-users. Why does JDE miss this feature ?

Well, there are self services solution out of the box in JDE (ex. http://www.oracle.com/us/products/a...ent/customer-self-service/overview/index.html). Not sure about the "non-user", you need an auth method for a user and I don't know what's a DOB.

To be honest I have done this kind of solution some times ago (a common user and password, an editable "password" field to enable the user, a dedicated web instance with a long logout time out and some tuning on cookies in order to avoid logout) but I don't like this, there is a leak of security but all depends from requirements.

Just to give you the big picture you can use parameterized url and proxy only the login page with a proxy user; let me explain:

1)Build you parameterized url
2)Build a jsp page (or any other tech you are comfortable)
3)Deploy the page
4)User go to you page
5)Behind the scene authenticate the user and redirect to the parameterized url (so you avoid the first login to the user)
6)Manage your custom authentication inside jde

78aspide78,

I will check if I can do the said points. I heard somewhere, the "Collaborative Portal" can be used to achieve this kind of output. But I don't know much about it.
By DOB I just meant Date of Birth.

Gentlemen,

What is the effect if I DON'T use MBF function to insert/update/delete Who's Who(F0111), Phone Numbers (F0115), Alternate Address (F01161), Electronic Address (F01151).

Instead I will just use F01XXX.Insert/F01XXX.Update/F01XXX.Delete ERs...

Gentlemen,

What is the effect if I DON'T use MBF function to insert/update/delete Who's Who(F0111), Phone Numbers (F0115), Alternate Address (F01161), Electronic Address (F01151).

for one, say you upgrade your e1 and they change a table and the mbf to match, your table io is now out of date.

Gentlemen,

How does that solve your initial problem? Or do you mean updating those tables outside of the JDE toolset?

BOster,

Actually this is a subject for a new topic. But hope the history of this topic help the members to understand better.
I will use JDE table I/O...

Back