Important Dissemination of information for 9.2 upgrades

altquark

altquark

Legendary Poster
In case you missed this

There is no direct upgrade path from EnterpriseOne 8.9, 8.10, 8.11 or 8.11 SP1 to 9.2

There are direct upgrade paths from Oneworld Xe, 8.0, 8.12, 9.0 and 9.1

Oracle is recommending that if you're on any of the versions without a direct upgrade, that you upgrade to 9.1 first.

Source : http://www.oracle.com/partners/en/m...summit-plan-enterpriseone-innovat-2418631.pdf

Its important to note that Oracle completely removed all the table conversions for 8.9, 8.10 and 8.11 out of the F98430. They exist for the other versions.

Of course this means that you need at least two deployment servers if you're coming from an earlier release, and everything doubles in time. I am in the midst of an 8.10 upgrade to 9.2 - and its a real, real pain. Its like upgrading B733 to Xe all over again.

Luckily, Boomerang can still take all the objects from 8.10 directly to 9.2 - but the table conversions are a real challenge to complete. You have been forewarned !

9.2 Net Change Guide

Here also is the 9.2 net change guide. Note that the only direct simplified upgrade path is from 9.0 Update 2 or 9.1.x. All other release levels must upgrade to 9.1 first and then to 9.2. The simplified upgrade does not support upgrades prior to release 9.0 Update 2.

Attachments

• 9.2netchange guide.pdf
    88.7 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
And just for the records, I recently attended a seminar on 9.2 upgrade by John Bassett and he mentioned an interesting point ... "Don't get fooled by the term "Simplified Upgrade", there is nothing simple in the simplified upgrade plan atleast from a CNC perspective, if at all it is probably now more complex. It is definitely simpler for developers because it is less time in retrofitting"

It is definitely simpler for developers because it is less time in retrofitting"

I doubt that is even the case in practice. More than likely the objects that are most likely to have custom modifications will also have been updated by Oracle between releases and thus will still need to be retrofitted.

Agreed. "Simplified Upgrade" is literally marketing gobblygook. Any upgrade requires a customer to perform retrofitting. nobody runs JDE completely vanilla "out of the box". If you modified JDE Standard objects (like P4210) - theres NO SUCH THING AS A SIMPLIFIED UPGRADE - since all the time spent in any upgrade process is the time to retrofit and test.

Heres the full, unadulterated list of how to upgrade to 9.2 :

If you are on any version prior to Xe (B713/B714/B731x/B732x/B733x) - you need to upgrade to Xe first. Then you can upgrade to E1 9.2 directly using a "Traditional" upgrade
If you are on Xe (B7333) or 8.0 (B7334) - you can upgrade DIRECTLY to E1 9.2 - using a "Traditional Upgrade"
If you are on 8.9/8.10/8.11 or 8.11 SP1 - you need to upgrade to 9.1 first ("Traditional" upgrade), then upgrade to 9.2 (Technically you can then use a simplified upgrade, but expect to perform a "Traditional" upgrade)
If you are on 8.12/9.0 Update 0 or 9.0 Update 1 - you can go to 9.2 using a "Traditional" upgrade
If you are on 9.0 Update 2 or any 9.1x version - you can try a "Simplified" upgrade

I think thats the defacto list. I haven't included World upgrade options - but there are some versions of World you have to upgrade to something other than 9.2 before then going to 9.2

Another issue to be aware of with the simplified upgrade method is that you will be effectively be going patch current after you apply your mods rather than before. So a normal upgrade process would be to do your 9.2 upgrade into vanilla and then apply all ESU's released at that point. From there you will then retrofit any mods you have. Now the process is to upgrade into a modified 9.2 instance which means you now have the headache of doing an impact assessment on every ESU that has been released for 9.2. Fine if you're doing an upgrade 1 week after 9.2 goes GA but what about 18 months or more??

... "Don't get fooled by the term "Simplified Upgrade" ...

The way I see it, it's basically like this: either you merge your mods into 9.2 CO DB, or merge the 9.2 delta into your 9.1 CO DB. Delta's size is fixed, it may be about 1/4 - 1/3 of all objects. But your number of mods depends on the site. So if you only have 10 mods, merging them into 9.2 would most definitely be faster. I.e.: for this simplified upgrade to actually be faster than the traditional one, we must be talking about a system with many thousands of customised objects, I think...

Good day,
Please bare with me. Why does the 9.2 Upgrade guide include Post Installation tasks for 8.9, 8.10 and 8.11? Could it possibly mean that one could potentially skip the TC on the Installation Plan and Workbench - thereafter running the TC manually after installation?

Thank you in advance for your reply.

Back