Is "delete serialized objects" still necessary after package builds

Frosty the Coder

Legendary Poster
List,

During our package build request, when a table was changed, we had been in the habit of requesting that CNC:
A: End the HTML/JAS/Web (whatever!) instances for the environments being deployed to
B: Clearing F989998 and F989999 from central objects in those same environments
C: and restarting the HTML/JAS/Web instances for those environments.

Over the weekend, I was chatting w/a support CNC who said we no longer needed to
clear F989998 nor F989999 as the build process had been improved to do this automatically.

Is this true?
Are "delete serialized objects" and "deleting SQL Packages (iSeries)" the same sort of thing?

What about "bouncing the servers"?
Is this just an extreme method of "clearing cache"?

My bottom line question is:
What should we ask to do, that is beyond regular "build/deploy", when we are implementing table changes?

The deployment of the package will clear the serialized objects for the objects in the package and clear the cache. We have found that restarting the web instances is required to get everything to work with a table change, at least on 8.98.3. There is no need to clear the tables completely.

SQL packages are an iSeries mechanism for optimizing SQL. If a table structure changes, the existing packages referencing that table will be out of synch.

Craig

So the instructions of "Delete Serialized Objects" and "Clear Cache" are redundant AND repetitive.
Thanks

Frosty,

Yes those two things are redundant, however you still should clear SQL packages when you change a table. Note the 'table', not indexes.

In my case I have my SQL packages created in QTEMP for everything except UBE's where I can't set it to do that, so if I have a table change I cycle services to clear the SQL packages. I clear the UBE packages manually.

Tom

Back