Multiple DDs in same instance

Tom_Davidson

Tom_Davidson

VIP Member
We run multiple PD path codes in our JDE 8.12 instance (8.98.4.4. Tools). We have a requirement to change the number of decimals of the QNTY item from 4 to 6 for one path code.

We are considering creating a second DD for the environments using the new number of decimals. I found 2 docs, one of which appears to say we can't do this and one that says we can (656372.1 & 656235.1). These seem to both be concerned about the Metadata Kernel.

I am also concerned about the dddict.* files in the /<pathcode>/specfile directory on our ES (IBM i 6.1)

Is anyone running multiple DDs in a single JDE instance (Tools 8.98)?

Thank you for your time.

When you're saying your considering a second DD - you're referring to two PD Data Dictionaries ?

I would totally recommend against creating additional data dictionaries except for the standard 1 for non-prod and 1 for prod.

You absolutely should be concerned about DD TAM files and memory issues. You will end up with data corruption if you're not completely partitioning your logic out. In effect, you're going to go down the road and will be forced to create two instances of production.

On the other hand, if you're talking just about creating a DD for non-prod and a DD for prod - then that should be the way you go to isolate DD changes from immediately impacting production. But you already know that ! You've been around as long as I have !!!

My recommendation is to go back to the business and find out the REAL reason they want to change the number of decimals - and then either do it globally or stop them from doing what you need. Don't go down the multi-DD route....and I would also suggest trying to consolidate your multiple PD path codes at some point as well !

John,

Yep we are talking about 2 PD Data Dictionaries (I actually have two PD path codes already, so one for each). The real reason they want to change the number of decimals is actually valid, we purchased a new business and are integrating it, and they truly have the requirement.

I love how JDE gives you so many options, but just because you CAN do something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I suspect there's a reason Oracle hasn't answered my query yet.

Thanks for the feedback. We make our decision tomorrow and I'm way on the 1 DD side at the moment.

Tom

If possible, i would go with a UOM conversion to a different type first. Changing decimals is a landmine.

Push back on the true value of the change. Does changing the decimals generate any dollars to the bottom line? Because changing decimals incorrectly can quickly remove dollars from the bottom line if not performed 100% correctly with many hours of testing.

Back