Password Attribute shows the password

Eastwood

Eastwood

Hi All,

On a fixed/inspect form, I have a Form Control variable (AN8) which has a value and associated description. The Field must be disabled and must show up as astrix (password protected attrib). But as soon as I check the disable attribute the value of password protected field shows up as regular numbers. But if I don't have the disabled button the numbers show up as astrix properly. Same thing happens if I check the Required Attribute also.
Has any one come accross this issue?
Thanks-

Hi Eastwood,

I am not sure, that the followings do work or not on 8.12, but you can make a try.

1.) What about setting Read Only attribute instead of Disabled?
(NOTE: I prefer Read Only, because the content is much more readable and if the content is longer than the control, the user can enter the field and scroll the content.)
2.) What about just turn off the Visible attribute?

Regards,

Zoltán

I tried using Read Only and it didn't work. I also thought of make the field invisible and having a dummy field over it with astrix in it.

Yeah, wow. . that's an interesting one.

Here's my solution. . .it's bad. . like all my other useless/helpless suggestions. (doesn't self deprecation just make you want to implement my solution; at least out of sympathy?

Since the field you're protecting displays its contents, change the contents. Make the contents a string of '*' (asterisks) equal to the length of the string entered by the user (after saving the user's entry, of course).

In the appropriate event, like 'Field is Exited':

SavePassword = FC Password
evt_length=length(FC Password)
FC Password=''
FC Password=lpad([FC Password],'*',[evt_length])
Disable Control(FC Password)

There. . . cake.
grin.gif

Thanks for all your valuable suggestions. WhippingBoy your suggestion would work but I have an associated description, its AN8 field. So pretty much on the same lines I am just hiding the AN8 field and exactly on top of the AN8 field I have a dummy field with astrix.

Just out of curiosity, has anyone logged this issue with Oracle?

Ben again,

Back