ERP Books/ Guide

coolkl

Well Known Member
Hi All,

I am not posting an issue. My questions is any one can recommend me books to read in ERP domain. I am a JDE E1/World technical with 10 years exp. But now I am looking to understand the over all ERP picture, get a broader view, understanding Why Use ERP, what is the mentality, thoughts in designing ERP's. What companies think, do to select work on ERP. Pros Cons etc. I am not able to word everything, but my basic aim is to grow out of my comfort zone. Gradually I want to get more understanding on pricing as that is my interest. Few books which I can start other than the JD Edwards Guide. This is for my own growth.

I went to Amazon and found many books like Concepts in Enterprise Resource Planning, Essentials of Business Processes and Information Systems,
Enterprise Resource Planning (Bret Wagner, Ellen Monk). Not sure this is the right direction. Business Guru's who can guide me in my quest of learning.

Thanks for reading and appreciate your guidance.

Thanks.
Coolkl

There is one here on my desk called
JD Edwards Enterprise One The Complete Reference

It's by Allen Jacot, Joseph E.Miller, Michael Jacot, John A.Stern

It's an Oracle Press book

There are so many views on how to 'use' E1 these days that I and several friends, who've been doing this since it started find it quite confusing.
The zero mod policy gets me.
Don't mod E1 itself but mod the hell and back again around it. You're still modifying E1, you can just take ESUs quicker etc.

I could go on but I won't :)

That book is quite good (assuming you already have the Hester Enyeart one)

The zero mod policy gets me.
Don't mod E1 itself but mod the hell and back again around it. You're still modifying E1, you can just take ESUs quicker etc.

If by "zero mod" If you mean not modding pristine objects then I 101% agree. People will do copy and mods all day long thinking that... actually I don't know what the thinking is. If ever there was a "chop off your nose to spite your face" policy this would be one of them. Actually more like "cut off your head to spite your body" (along with your arms and legs).

And, one of my many arguments against "zero mod" is that you CAN'T take ESUs quicker. If you have copied and modded, then any ESU changes should really be retrofitted to your copied object, and manually retrofitting ESU changes to a copied object can take a LOT longer than retrofitting mods to a pristine object that has the latest ESU changes.

The thinking has changed over the years to do a complete reverse from never touch standard objects-always copy them, to now-a-days better to mod the object, making ESU's easier to take and reapply customisation, and upgrades are able to use standard tools at least for bulk work.

Back