Automatic Flat file transfer via FTP

• Thread starter Sridhar Mantrala
  • Start date

Sridhar Mantrala

Hi,

We are at 8.12 release with 8.96 tools. We have requirement which was explained below.
There is a flat file that is generated in JDE E1 which needs to be transferred to other system via internet. Is there any way in JDE E1 through which we can achieve this? I would like to know whether this can be done automatically without using any 3rd party software. If this is not possible from JDE, what is the best 3rd party software that we can use and what is the procedure.

Thanks,
Sridhar

We have an ftp batch file scheduled to execute in Windows 2003 (no third party software involved).

we use to have a scheduled Unix scripts to transfer flat files. Problem was that we had change to transfer incomplete flat files if the UBE is still running and the shell script was activated based on fixed schedule.

Then we had two options:
(1) Have UBE to call a business function which is in turn to make a system call to execute that file transfer script.
(2) send flat file as e-mail attachment.

You can script the FTP Commands in a UBE to FTP from a UBE using the Execute
command BSFN. There is no 'native' FTP function I am aware of.

I've written about the subject, extensively, previously on the list.

(db)

--

Hi,

Could you please share the JDE UBE code to do the FTP.

Thanks
Sacchidanand Patel

Why not extract it from Print queue and then copy it on FTP?

The method doesn't necessarily matter, but you should be using something like SFTP instead of FTP if you are going across the Internet. This isn't 1997.

Hi,
You can use the JDE C Business function.External Execute Program,this bsfn will hit the batch file where you need to transfer,in the batch file you can write the shell script.then only the flat file will transfer.

Thanks,
Lokesh.V

Simple solution is FTP script written in the OS you have E1 on. If its Microsoft it will be easy. If you have OS/400 then you might have to do some conversion and prepare before sending out. There are also other complex solutions you can design depends on what infra you have.

An inexpensive PC based tool we use is called ScriptFTP. It contains a batch interface so once you write a script, you can execute it from E1 using the Execute Extrenal Program BSFN. One nice thing about it, is that it will create a log file that you can interpret to determine in your UBE whether the FTP completed properly or not. I simply put the work "Successful" in the log file and then I have some code that looks for that word. If the FTP fails, I email the log file and that's that.

Hi Shravan,

You can write the shell Script in the batch file as move source location to target location .After you should run a batch,then it should hit his file and transfer your file in to target location...

Back