Media Objects on Cloud

Soumen

Soumen

Reputable Poster
Dear List,

I wanted to get an opinion about moving the media objects to cloud, probably AWS or Azure. Has anyone had any success in doing this? If yes what are the pitfalls, pros and cons?
Any insight will be very helpful.

Our current media object folder size on the deployment server is around 60 Gig.

-Soumen

Dear List,

I wanted to get an opinion about moving the media objects to cloud, probably AWS or Azure. Has anyone had any success in doing this? If yes what are the pitfalls, pros and cons?
Any insight will be very helpful.

Our current media object folder size on the deployment server is around 60 Gig.

-Soumen

I think I needed to be a little more specific about the "cloud" part. Basically we are looking for options to move the MediaObjects from the deployment server to one of services (which one we don't know yet) from Azure or AWS. This will be a POC and we are trying to get as much insight as we can and what is involved in achieving this.

My understanding after going through some of the documents on MOS is that we need atleast configurations below from whatever cloud service we decide to go with at the bare minimum:

1. Ability to access the mediaobjects as a shared path "\\servername\E910\mediaobj"

2. Ensure FTP services are setup and running on the remote location.

3. Ensure FTP can be done from the web server to the file server (outside of E1) using the user id and password entered into Server Manager (jas.ini in earlier releases)

Ofcourse there is this whole point of securing the connection which needs to be checked as well.

Did I miss any point here?

That should do the trick.
As long as you have configured the FTP credentials with the HTML instance on the server manager, you should be alright.
Also, if your application server runs on a non windows platform, media objects are required to be configured to be accessed via FTP.

To my knowledge, E1 does not support SFTP or FTPS for media objects. So, this would be a security risk. User id and password will be transmitted in clear text.

I replied to this earlier today on a different location. You need to look into the Storage Gateway in AWS.

You have lots of abilities to then connect the AWS Storage directly into your data center including native RPC or through ISCSI. For those linux weblogic servers, you'll also be able to access the media objects through FTP as well. A really good guide to configuring AWS Storage Gateway is here : http://docs.aws.amazon.com/storagegateway/latest/userguide/WhatIsStorageGateway.html

I don't think there would be any major issues to moving the media objects on their own to AWS - you'll have the security that AWS offers, together with the backup abilities that it offers at a relatively low price point for highly available storage.

As hari stated, if you are using FTP for your media objects, then the user ID and password would be transmitted between the AWS storage gateway and the JDE Enterprise Server in clear text - however, it shouldn't be difficult to secure the connection between those two machines so it becomes very difficult to "sniff" the FTP password off the network. I would say that the FTP is the only major security flaw - and would only be an issue if you are using Linux Weblogic Servers.

Try it out - it shouldn't take too long to set up (amazon gives new users 60 days to try their Storage Gateway for free) and you could put a Proof of Concept together pretty quickly ! It'd either work or not ! We'd all love to see any findings you come up with !

Thanks folks I will keep the group posted on the POC findings here.

Back