JDE E1 9.1: SSO/WNA on the Thick Client

mattbbpl

We're working through our security requirements and designs for the first phase of a JDE E1 installation. In this particular case, we were discussing our SSO (Single Sign On) and WNA (Windows Native Authentication) design, whereby we would like a user who is logged into the Active Directory domain to automatically be logged into JDE via their Active Directory domain credentials when accessing the application.

One of the meeting members mentioned that SSO and WNA would only work when access the JDE E1 system through a web browser. Having implemented such functionality into a thick client before, I find it hard to believe that Oracle wouldn't have implemented such functionality into their thick client yet. And yet, I'm finding it difficult to find concrete information stating whether the Thick/Fat Client supports this capability or not.

As JDE E1 SSO functionality seems to be a hot topic on this forum, it seems likely that someone else here has attempted to implement such functionality via the Thick Client as well.

Can anyone here comment on this? Is SSO truly not possible via the JDE E1 9.1 Thick/Fat Client?

I worked with a product from Computer associates that used scripting for SSO. It can be done, it just not LDAP doing the work.

Check out Everest Software's SSO solution for JDE.
Its simple, easy to implement, and cheap.
Oh yeah, it has a fat client solution also.

Thanks for the suggestions. I don't have direct control over the software purchases, so I can't decide to use Everest's solution, cowboy style.

It sounds like I'll have to propose a hard decision, though - Either we purchase a third party tool, we ban/limit fat client use, or we make an exception in our architecture standards for the fat client.

It's not what I wanted to hear, but given the absence of information on SSO on the fat client, it's not entirely unexpected, either.

Thanks guys. Getting confirmation on the current version's capabilities in this regard has been an immense help.

Just another comment Matt. Don't hold your breath waiting for Oracle to provide Fat Client SSO capability - nobody wants it.
Nowadays fat clients are only for developers and admins. And there are good reasons for wanting those types of users to revalidate themselves given the power they have.

Good point.

I'm used to seeing the choice between a thin and fat client as irrelevant in terms of functionality (i.e. the only reason to choose a fat client over a thin client is to distribute the business logic onto users' machines, thereby decreasing the load on the centralized servers - which very few choose to do anyway in practice).

I guess I need to shift my thinking on the fat/thin client mentality a bit in that fat client users (in JDE E1) aren't really end users.

Back