Why not Windows Server + SQL Server for E1 installation?

earthdog

earthdog

I just need opinion from people that have used the MS combination for their E1 installations.

Specifically i would be very interested if someone have used recent SQL Serve edition (2012/2014) for fresh E1 installation.

I cant believe that these do not play well together with E1 and i cant figure out what is happening.

Almost everywhere the word is: "Linux/Unix with Oracle DB". I can understand that because oracle wants to push through its own full stack.

But is there any proven reason why i should not Build my new E1 solution on Microsoft RDBMS and OS?

Years ago, the most common installations that I saw in the field doing CNC work was AS/400's and Windows / SQL. I don't consult anymore but I believe the majority of installations are now probably Windows / SQL, primarily due to both cost and skillsets - both are less expensive. I don't know why you would go Unix/Oracle unless you already had those skillsets in house, or if you have unusual requirements (size of data, volume, reliability, etc).

Having said all of that, it does seem like Oracle would slowly like to squeeze everyone into the red stack.

Malcolm

We have 7 different instances of E1 for 7 different divisions/industries/companies. Recently, we moved 4 of them off the of IBM iSeries and on to Windows/SQL 2008 R2. The remaining 3 instances will be moved within the next year or two. The main drivers for the move was cost and disaster recovery. None of the instances have a huge number or users (20-120 concurrent), so I can't give much of an opinion on scalability.

How many concurrent users are you looking to support?

Do you have many complicated integrations?

At my current company, we gradually phased out AS/400 and have been running on SQL2008R2 x64 with no issues with 400 concurrent users. I have done cnc consulting in the past and majority of my clients were on all various flavors of OS/db.

Win/SQL platform is robust and we are a microsoft shop so it was a no brainer for us to go with MSSQL. From Disaster Recovery perspectives, we are using log shipping for the production databases, which is a native MSSQL functionality. Once again, proving the in-house skillset meets the requirements. Nothing additional was purchased or anything that required consulting services.

Using Win/SQL combination is no cakewalk either, that combination has its own issues (for example: blocking / tempDB growth / transaction log growth, etc). IMO, there are far more advantages than dis-advantages. Overall, it is very manageable.

Thank you all for your insights...

It is really a nice era we are in, where iron and os/db combos are rarely a stop issue, and we can focus on people and added value....

Back