ESU Behaviour

adeel

VIP Member
Hello there,
We have one weird situation.

I use change assistant, I applied one ESU in DV and PY, after one month when users tested I apply those ESU in PD but on that time it got 4 other pre-req ESUs, I can understand that there might be a bug fixes, but when I looked the ESUs it was release in December last year and wonder why it did not install when I applied ESU in DV and PY. (very strange). Those ESU crashed our Canadian auto deposit file in PD.
Any idea wh applied pre-req ESU from December?

Thanks
AD

Adeel,
I suggest next time you use the original project created by ESU for DV, to promote to PY, and further to PD, thus ensuring you promote only TESTED code.

We do the same thing. Apply ESU ONLY to DV, then use the normal promotion process to move it to PY/PD. We also do the special instructions at each level of course.

This ensures that what has been tested is what goes into PD

Tom Davidson

Thanks both of you, when I apply ESU I don't check the option to <Create OMW project> I believe you click that option. ?
Can you please tell me this way will work If I have to create full package? looks like it is good for update package.

Thanks
AD

Hi Adeel,
1. I guess the "Create OMW Project" is already on by default, don't remember turning it on manually ...
2. Not sure I understood this question, but the Full Package is built/deployed BY Environment - no promotion involved. You can promote objects ONLY BY Project.

Thanks Adrian
Let me clear now.

Update package:
1. apply ESU through change assistant and make sure omw is checked and deploy to DV environment.

On Deployment server
2. build/deploy the project(s) e.g JM11111_DV910 in DV. (do the same with all pre-req)
3. Change the status code to 26 for the above project(s) for PY
4. redefined the project assembly assign proper full package name and then build/deploy the project in PY and so on.

if the project has more than 10 object. I should do the full package in this case.
1. build/deploy the full package for DV. (which will include that project(s) automatically)
2. Change the status code to 26 for the project(s).
3. build/deploy full package in PY and so on.

Thanks
AD

Adeel,
The Change Assistant is more powerful than it used to. It allows you to select multiple ESUs, and you can Download & Deploy them at the same time!
Say I select one ES& choose only DV for deployment. The DV package will be created, already (as it is used for deployment into DV), and the project, is there, too.
Promotion to PY is done with the project, and I clone the DV update package into a PY update one. Note you may want to verify the base Full package, as it comes with the DV812FA, automatically.
Any questions?

Thanks Adrian
i understand about the update package, i can clone the DV package and deploy to PY.

How about to create full package, lets assume the ESU for DV project is already there in OMW. i can create the full package for DV should be fine, but how i will clone this DV full package to PY? i assume i just change the status of the DV project to 26 and build the PY full package?

Thanks
AD

Hi Adeel,
We use the terms "Promote project from DV to PY" vs. "Change status to 26"
After this promotion you may clone the full package, and process it, indeed..

Great Adrian, much appreciated.
Last question.

In change assistant <edit> <preference> I have checked the option "include dependencies". I assume that is the best way ? some suggested make this uncheck so you install what you looking for.

Thanks
AD

Hi Adeel,

When you check the "include dependencies" option, it's possible that the dependency may be a baseline ESU, which could add a lot of additional objects/changes. And there's no simple answer as to whether you need that baseline ESU applied for your desired ESU to work correctly. For example, it might be possible that someone could apply a baseline dependency to their DV/PY environments, but promote only the desired ESU (without the baseline) to production - in which case it would test fine in DV/PY, but break in production.

Happy to oblige, Adeel.
We include dependencies, too, as we were told the mods are designed to work together.

Hello there again.
Quick question we have another testing environment called HR and the activity rule is setup to promote the object to that environment when we promote to PD.

In my situation I have to change the rule so when I promote to PY so should promote to HR. I did not play with Activity rule and it is setup by our vendor, is it easy to change if yes please tell me how. This will benefit me for the suggestion you proposed.

Thanks
AD

Hi Adeel,
I suggest you call your vendor to change it.
Activity rules changes are pretty picky.

Thanks Adrian

I thought it will be simply as we dont have any development going on.
I can create new thread.

Thanks
AD

Hello there again.
Quick question about the method you are using, in 9.1 most of the special instruction done automatically when you apply ESU in any environments using change assistant, for e.g record insertion in tables/file.

Are these will be automatically apply in your method when we promote from DV to PY ?

Thought to confirm.

Thanks
AD

Hello there
Here is the answer I got from Oracle and as I suspected. We should not use the promotion process in all the cases.

1)If you are using separate copy of Data dictionary tables for DV and PY and ESU has new DD item introduced in it , those changes will not be applied.

2)If there are records introduced for control Tables such as Menu/UDCs , those will not be updated.

3)One Major Drawback,the esu grid will not show PY or PD against esu,which is misguiding.So ,it will be an overhead to maintain documentation that the esu was promoted and not applied.

4)If ESU has only specs,then we are safe to just promote the Project. But for any other parts introduced in the ESU, promoting will not be enough.

In a nut shell the change assistant is still the better option. Thought to share with you as this might help others.

Thanks
AD

Back