Oracle VM Templates for EnterpriseOne - anyone have success with them

ericsd

Oracle says you can stand up an EnterpriseOne environment in about 3 days using their Oracle VM Templates. Anyone have success doing so? We want to stand up a sandbox environment.

Thanks!

PS: Anyone in production on this type of setup?

[ QUOTE ]
Oracle says you can stand up an EnterpriseOne environment in about 3 days using their Oracle VM Templates. Anyone have success doing so? PS: Anyone in production on this type of setup?

[/ QUOTE ]

Eric

Stand up an environment in 3 days? What are they smoking? We are in the process of standing one up that will go live in January. It is taking MUCH MUCH longer.

1) It took our linux guru 10 days to setup OVM. There were quite a few back and forths with Oracle to get drivers right

2) It took our Linux admin several days to just get the templates to install correctly.

3) It is taking us the better part of a month to configure the six batch and weblogic servers.

4) The batch servers were fairly easy to configure after the first one.

5) The weblogic server templates install weblogic standard, not weblogic enterprise. If you want full clustering, you need to upgrade to weblogic enterprise edition (not a small chunk of change). The JDE install documents assumes that you are using weblogic enterprise. That is NOT part of the red stack. Don't use the clustering piece of weblogic (it's there in standard) unless you ALSO upgrade your license to enterprise edition. If you use the clustering, expect a bill from Oracle after your next Oracle audit.

6) We are planning on working with one of our architects to setup our F5s to cluster the farm of weblogic servers this morning, and attempt to cluster the batch servers.

7) Setting up active/active batch server clustering is NOT documented. It is a field innovation, not an Oracle procedure. A few of the top CNCs on this list know how to do this (Shoutout to Colin and Jon). We are muddling our way through it.

8) OVM has some stability issues and support issues. We lost the better part of a week waiting for Oracle to get back to our Linux guy. Our system crashed twice and took some tweaking to get back up. We had to jump up and down to get Oracle's attention on this.

9) We are standing up Oracle 11gR2 on an Exalogic server. That is a totally seperate effort that has been on-going since early July with a team of DBAs and Oracle consultants. Still not ready to go yet.

10) And one other minor detail, we are Windows, SQL, XE guys. So there is a minor little learing curve to get up to Oracle, linux, 9.0, server manager, and Weblogic.

So yea, three days, no problem.....

Yes it is possible................but only after you have done it a few times or you are well versed in Linux and Oracle VM.

I've spoken to many top CNC's on this and there seems to be consensus.........only after a few go's at it.

Now if you're Clayton Seeley and you've done this about 1000 times then you can get this up and running in 16 hours.

Even after doing VMWare about a zillion times Oracle VM was quite different. It works but it's not quitewhat VMWare offers (although the price is more attractive.

Colin

[ QUOTE ]
Yes it is possible................but only after you have done it a few times or you are well versed in Linux and Oracle VM.

I've spoken to many top CNC's on this and there seems to be consensus.........only after a few go's at it.

Now if you're Clayton Seeley and you've done this about 1000 times then you can get this up and running in 16 hours.

Even after doing VMWare about a zillion times Oracle VM was quite different. It works but it's not quitewhat VMWare offers (although the price is more attractive.

Colin

[/ QUOTE ]

Colin

I know Clayton Seely, you are no Clayton Seely.

But you are close.

I agree with your statement. If we had:

1) oracle database setup
2) OVM setup
3) Linux experience
4) Weblogic experience outside of the Oracle classroom
5) 9.0 experience (we have some 8.12 experience but not 9.0)
6) If we were setting this up in a simple scenario, not multiple servers.
7) Had a CNC consultant that likes Tim Hortons to help us.

Then yea, we could have set up a lab environment in three days.

BTW - does Clayton still work for Oracle? He's one heck of a CNC Guru....

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

If you knew Clayton, you would know that he spells his last name 'Seeley'.

shocked.gif

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Touché

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

shocked.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Touché

[/ QUOTE ]

Wait, you know how to get that little accent thingie over an 'e' but you cannot spell Clayton's name right?

[ QUOTE ]

6) We are planning on working with one of our architects to setup our F5s to cluster the farm of weblogic servers this morning, and attempt to cluster the batch servers.

8) OVM has some stability issues and support issues. We lost the better part of a week waiting for Oracle to get back to our Linux guy. Our system crashed twice and took some tweaking to get back up. We had to jump up and down to get Oracle's attention on this.

[/ QUOTE ]

So we got off the phone with our F5 guy, and then our dang OVM environment crashed again. Second time today. Fourth or fifth time in ten days. So add in some time in your three day "Stand Up JDE" window for crashing and debugging OVM......
mad.gif

It's a good thing we weren't able to get a Tim Horton's drinking CNC consultant in this week afterall. We'd be having a very expensive coffee break right now....

You guys are killing me.

Clayton is a lifer........he works in Denver under the Partner Support (Enablement 2.0 stuff).

I'm looking forward to the OVM templates with 8.98.4.0. I'm hoping the Server Manager integration for WebLogic is better than it currently is or atleast on par with WAS.

Also looking for WLS to be supported as a WSRP producer.

OVM is actually pretty popular in Europe becasue there uptake on VMWare wasn't as fast as in North America. Over here VMWare is pretty much the standard and has so many integrated 3rd party products.

Colin

[ QUOTE ]
OVM is actually pretty popular in Europe becasue there uptake on VMWare wasn't as fast as in North America. Over here VMWare is pretty much the standard and has so many integrated 3rd party products.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well my impression of OVM is not very good at the moment. We are actually considering porting some of the linux servers over to VM-ware until Oracle can get OVM stable. Our strategy is to build a 100% Oracle certified environment, BUT, we also need one the #$%^#$% works. My senior director has turned up the heat big time on Oracle. Grrrrrr.
mad.gif

and just to make my day - the OVM hosts died AGAIN this morning. special, really special....

Can I get a refund on the kool-aid?

[ QUOTE ]
Serves you right for drinking the entire jug of Kool-Aid.

[/ QUOTE ]

Talk about kicking a guy when he is down
grin.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but I'm sure Oracle will be happy to sell you their brand of mouth wash to get the bad kool-aid after taste out.

[ QUOTE ]
and just to make my day - the OVM hosts died AGAIN this morning. special, really special....

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting - your OVM hosts DIED ? Was that software related or hardware related ?

OVM is getting better. VMWare is incredibly stable, but its been around for donkeys years. OVM will eventually become stable, providing Oracle continue pouring development resources into it.

since I wrote that post, OVM crapped out two more times. Larry better not mortgage the yacht based on OVM support revenues yet.....

[ QUOTE ]
Interesting - your OVM hosts DIED ? Was that software related or hardware related ?

OVM is getting better. VMWare is incredibly stable, but its been around for donkeys years. OVM will eventually become stable, providing Oracle continue pouring development resources into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

To be more specific - no we are not having hardware issues. We bought new HPs just for this purpose. It is OVM that keeps crashing. Or it's the link between OVM and grid control. Or both. Their documentation is conflicting and the support team is all based on the left coast of the US (our team is on the right coast) or half way around the planet. Not a very impressive showing to date.

This whole song and dance number that using OVM and templates will speed up your implementation? Not so much....
mad.gif

ok - you "bought new HP's" - can I surmise you're using AMD Opterons ? Just wondering if CPU type is causing more issues....early stability issues with VMWare was very much related to the types of processors used...

I think that they are intel cores, but I'll pass that tip along to our linux SA. thanks

[ QUOTE ]
ok - you "bought new HP's" - can I surmise you're using AMD Opterons ? Just wondering if CPU type is causing more issues....early stability issues with VMWare was very much related to the types of processors used...

[/ QUOTE ]

Jon

The HPs we bought for OVM have Intel cores. We remember the VMware AMD issue and avoided AMD for just that reason.

Logged into server manager just now, for a refreshing change of pace OVM didn't crash last night.... They have stayed up for almost 24 hours now. Whoo who!
grin.gif

If things don't get better with OVM we will move at least half of the farm over to vm-ware so we can have some stability. Our senior directors are hammering Oracle right now on this issue, so in the long haul things way improve for everyone.

The other pieces of our "all-in Oracle" strategy are working out, just OVM is shaky.

- Gregg "Livin the dream on the bleeding edge" Larkin

Back