Oracle VM Templates for EnterpriseOne - anyone have success with them

I'm positive that Oracle will get the OVM issues stabilized. I actually have AMD processors in my HP DL585's - and haven't seen the same issue - so maybe its a bit of a reversal - though it could be other hardware differences that you're experiencing providing the issue.

We are into month 4 of running it for production on IBM x3850(2 procs; 8 cores; 96GB) with no issues. All goodness and light!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ok - you "bought new HP's" - can I surmise you're using AMD Opterons ? Just wondering if CPU type is causing more issues....early stability issues with VMWare was very much related to the types of processors used...

[/ QUOTE ]

Logged into server manager just now, for a refreshing change of pace OVM didn't crash last night.... They have stayed up for almost 24 hours now. Whoo who!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Woot! Going to two 9's? Or maybe one?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
ok - you "bought new HP's" - can I surmise you're using AMD Opterons ? Just wondering if CPU type is causing more issues....early stability issues with VMWare was very much related to the types of processors used...

[/ QUOTE ]

Logged into server manager just now, for a refreshing change of pace OVM didn't crash last night.... They have stayed up for almost 24 hours now. Whoo who!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Less than that - apparently at least one of our three hosts went down, but it was one where I had already scripted auto restart of services. So in comparison to my 5.5 sigma XE system, OVM is a 0.1 sigma system so far...

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of Woot! If you're a fan of woot.com, they are having a woot-off today. Something tells me that BOK has been doing some on-line shopping today....

Hi Everybody,

Will appreciate your help on the following. I am downloading Oracle VM Templates for JDE E1 and got my hands on "JD Edwards EnterpriseOne 8.98.3.1 Server Manager Installer" as a single *.zip file. Inside - just a .PAR file and nothing else that makes it a proper WIN installer.

Did I miss anything or it is just a corrupted download?

Thanks,
Andriy

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
and just to make my day - the OVM hosts died AGAIN this morning. special, really special....

Can I get a refund on the kool-aid?

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting - your OVM hosts DIED ? Was that software related or hardware related ?

OVM is getting better. VMWare is incredibly stable, but its been around for donkeys years. OVM will eventually become stable, providing Oracle continue pouring development resources into it.

[/ QUOTE ]

OVM update - After much angst and many phone calls and escalations with Oracle, our OVM hosts seem to be stable. The crashing issue was a NIC driver issue. We have two dual one gig nics in each host. When we teamed the nics together to get fault tolerance and 4 GB throughput, OVM choked up and died. We unteamed the nics and things worked. Oracle rewrote the driver and we reteamed the nics, and it has remained stable. Ah, life on the bleeding edge.....

- Gregg

[ QUOTE ]
When we teamed the nics together to get fault tolerance and 4 GB throughput, OVM choked up and died. We unteamed the nics and things worked.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, thats a pretty common issue with teaming. I've seen this many times before - teaming can often give spurious results with virtualization - and, after all, the virtualization can handle multiple NIC's and provides its own fault tolerance - so teaming isn't really needed. Hopefully your issues should be behind you.

Back