No environment assigned for User/Role

adeel

VIP Member
Hello there

I have created one user and attach GLINQ role to it. Works fine in PD but when user login to PY getting above error.

Any idea? Is it something i need to do with Role?

Thanks
AD

1) Is PY (or JPY) assigned to that role?
2) If you are signing into a fat client, is PY installed on that PC?

Adding to Ken's comments, you need to look under the user and the role in P0092 and validate that the user and the role both have the PY(JPY) environments added to the "Environments" row exit for that user and role.

Hi Ken

I did not assign the PY environment to that role i believe that is all i am missing ? how to do that.

Because all the other roles work fine with both environment and yes it is JPY. i am not using fat client it is web.

Thanks
AD
E8.12

Yes, whatever role the user has, you need to do as Steven says and go to the User Profiles application (P0092), Find and highlight the role name, hit the Environments row exit, and add a line for JPY812.

Unlike Steven's suggestion, however, the user name does not need to have any environment assigned to it. It will inherit the available environments from the role. If the user name has environments assigned, you will either need to also add JPY812 to the user's list, or delete all of the environments from the user's list so it can inherit from the role properly.

This is because when the user sign on the available environments come from either the user itself or if there are none the combined environments of the roles. The role always needs the environment however.

Ken is spot on. Just as a side note and possible suggestion, we have to maintain environments on the user level, because we don't allow basic end users into any environment other than PD. The roles however have access to PY, DV, and PD so that testing can be performed, but this is done with accounts other than the end user accounts. This eliminates the "oops, I thought I was in PY(or wherever)" possibility. Just something to keep in mind.

Steven,
Just a note - you'll lose the ability to assign Environments to Users if you take SAR #8946906. The Environment row exit will only be available on Roles, not Users. This is causing us a lot of extra work.

Dave Schleicher
LOGIS
8.12, 8.98.3.1, Windows 2003, SQL 2005, OAS 10.1.3.1

Dave - thanks for the heads up. I just looked on my new 9.0 install and sure enough the row exit is gone for users! What kind of "enhancement" is that?! I will certainly NOT be taking that ESU on my 8.12 instances and will see if I can unapply that ESU on my 9.0 instance. I suppose the only other work around if you only want users accessing PD is to setup a whole bunch more roles, like APCLERKPD, APCLERKPY etc. Yuck. Not at all what I want to do. Again, thanks for the heads up.

Have they simply restricted the front end means of the assigning environments at the User level , or has the security kernel been updated too that it would ignore user level records in F0093? If it is just the former then it is easy to overcome(Yeah I am thinking SQL
wink.gif
)

[ QUOTE ]
Dave - thanks for the heads up. I just looked on my new 9.0 install and sure enough the row exit is gone for users! What kind of "enhancement" is that?! I will certainly NOT be taking that ESU on my 8.12 instances and will see if I can unapply that ESU on my 9.0 instance. I suppose the only other work around if you only want users accessing PD is to setup a whole bunch more roles, like APCLERKPD, APCLERKPY etc. Yuck. Not at all what I want to do. Again, thanks for the heads up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll take credit for this "enhancement" since I filed the SAR. The environments assignment concept was broken and my first request was for Oracle to put it back to the way it was. When they were unwilling to do so I asked that they remove the ability to do something that was no allowed (assign environments at the user level).

Take a look at this: http://www.jdelist.com/ubb/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=OW&Number=160705&Forum=All_Forums&Words=%2Bsar%20%2Benvironment%20%2Buser%20%2Brole&Searchpage=0&Limit=25&Main=160692&Search=true&where=bodysub&Name=&daterange=1&newerval=19&newertype=y&olderval=&oldertype=&bodyprev=#Post160705

Jeff, I understand your position and the reason for your request. I recognized the user/role environment concept was broke when I moved from an 8.0 environment to 8.12. Why they can't just make it behave like security - User overrides the Role settings - Role Overrides *PUBLIC settings is kind of bizarre, but I just grabbed the P0092 object from pristine and the "Environments" row exit for users is back, so I am pacified for now.

[ QUOTE ]
Why they can't just make it behave like security - User overrides the Role settings - Role Overrides *PUBLIC settings is kind of bizarre...

[/ QUOTE ]

That was my first request - make it behave the way 1) everything else does, and 2) the way it used to.

Back