POLL: Do Oracle JDE World and EnterpriseOne User Customers Want JD Edwards Training Certifications Reinstated by Oracle

Terry DeMoure

Terry DeMoure

VIP Member
POLL: Do Oracle JDE World and EnterpriseOne User Customers Want JD Edwards Training Certifications Reinstated by Oracle

Recently the dialogue has been increasing from Oracle JDE user customers on our <font color="red">JDE Users for Better Education...a grassroots initiative </font>Group on LinkedIn about desiring Oracle to reinstate the JD Edwards Training Certification Program for users.

I would like to quote a new member of our <font color="red">JDE Users for Better Education...a grassroots initiative </font> group who really reinforced the need for our user community to pressure Oracle to reinstate the JDE User Training Certification Program, similar to the program that currently still exists for certifying training of Oracle Business Partners.

[ QUOTE ]
It has been difficult to find good training and the lack of any kind of standards or certifications makes it hard to determine if the training that does exist is of any value. It was a little embarrassing when I interviewed for my current position and they asked what certification I had achieved in the JDE world. The people interviewing me came from the SAP world and this is their first foray into the JDE world and they were wanting to make sure the that the people they hired actually had the knowledge they were looking for. I had to explain to them that certifications in JDE have been non-existent since JDE ceased to be an independent company.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have received dozens and dozens of comments like those of our group member above. This is precisely why I am setting up this poll here in JDEList to gather significant feedback to approach management at Oracle and Oracle University on this issue. I am also encouraging comments in addition to your poll vote hoping to get some solid feedback here in JDEList like those shared above. For those that do participate, together we are going to carry a strong message that the JDE user community wants to see the JD Edwards Users Training Certification Program reinstated in 2011. I will be compiling all the feedback and forwarding onto Oracle.

Re: POLL: Do Oracle JDE World and EnterpriseOne User Customers Want JD Edwards Training Certifications Reinstated by Oracle

This poll is open to all:

Oracle JD Edwards World and EnterpriseOne User Customers
Consultants and Experts
Oracle staff
RUG/OAUG/Quest/Other user groups
Oracle Certified Business Partners
Vendors/Service Providers

Please be encouraged to also leave comments in addition to your vote in the poll.

Thanks
cool.gif

Re: POLL: Do Oracle JDE World and EnterpriseOne User Customers Want JD Edwards Training Certifications Reinstated by Oracle

I am curious about the "NO" votes in our poll so far. Would those voters wish to share their reasons for their negative position?
frown.gif

Of course Terry, I will share my $0.02CAD
grin.gif

1 - I don't know MANY companies interested in hiring certified resources, or in certifing them. Actually I do not know ANY
blush.gif

Of the five companies I worked for (since 1997) in a JDE related position, only three were ready (and paid) for training, while NONE approved any certification.
2 - Neither JDE was, nor Oracle is interested in training & certification. Why "should" Oracle do something it is not interested in? And how reliable would be an Oracle certifiER, without any experience in Training
crazy.gif

3 - Training is currently offered by MANY Oracle Certified Business Partners. These guys would be better suited, now, to certify what they train. But ... the conflict of interest
tongue.gif

[ QUOTE ]
Of course Terry, I will share my $0.02CAD
1 - I don't know MANY companies interested in hiring certified resources, or in certifing them. Actually I do not know ANY
Of the five companies I worked for (since 1997) in a JDE related position, only three were ready (and paid) for training, while NONE approved any certification.
2 - Neither JDE was, nor Oracle is interested in training & certification. Why "should" Oracle do something it is not interested in? And how reliable would be an Oracle certifiER, without any experience in Training
3 - Training is currently offered by MANY Oracle Certified Business Partners. These guys would be better suited, now, to certify what they train. But ... the conflict of interest

[/ QUOTE ]
Interesting comments Adrian.

I would have to disagree with you when you say JD Edwards was not interested in training. When JD Edwards was independent, prior to be acquired by PeopleSoft, user training was very important to them and a significant investment. The majority of my JDE training (100+ CPE) was facilitated in their multi million dollar training center at their headquarters in Denver eight plus years ago. I considered it to be the most thorough and rewarding ERP software training of my 30 plus year career.

As to whether Oracle carries the same commitment to training, all I know is that I have watched over the last couple of years as Oracle University has been scrambling to get up to speed with functional application offerings since that type of curriculum was pretty much non-existent at the time they acquired PeopleSoft.

On the conflict of interest, my own personal opinion is that managing the training and certification of Oracle JD Edwards World and EnterpriseOne for users by Oracle Certified Business Partners would not be a conflict of interest if the partner's primary focus is training like JDEtips University, Quest, or other firms that do not rely on consulting services and/or third party software sales revenue.

Terry, this is a good initiative on your part.

Certification for JDE clients is an idea whose time has come. Oracle already has exams for business partners, so why not extend the service to clients?

Clients have various reasons for wanting to become certified. Staff might want to enhance their resume, qualify for a promotion, or simply prove to themselves that they know the basics of a JDE module. Management might want to see their staff certified, in hopes that this will ensure reasonable internal competency.

Anyone who has implemented a JDE module or suite for a year or two, and who studies the 'manual', should be able to pass a certification exam. So, certification should be a rite of passage from apprentice level to journeyman level. (To become a master, well that's a whole other level of skill, and one that a certification exam is unlikely to ever get to.)

Andy

I voted NO because I feel is too late for this initiative. We can all see that the demand for JDE professionals is rather low these days, and I don't see how that demand would increase with newly "Certified JDE Professionals". If you're saying now, that I have to pay Oracle to get a certification after 12 years of experience with the hope that this will allow me to increase my salary rate... when the trend out there is that companies are hiring for professionals for the least money possible... I just don't see the gain.

In my opinion, this isn't a good poll.

First of all, the poll leads with three "YES" options - that, at a glance, all look identical. A better poll should give an equal "yes" and "no" options. If there aren't enough "NO" options - then the poll should be limited to two options.

Secondly, speaking as the person who created the JDE CNC Certification program in 1997, certification was never really either fair or balanced with JDE - as it isn't with many other industries. In my experience, "certified" professionals are literally worth no more than the paper their certificates are printed on. Often, those people use their certification as a "crutch" - whereas non-certified professionals often have far more experience. Grandfathering is also often unfair and doesn't work well.

Certification would require hiring people at Oracle to manage a program. Unfortunately, the reality is that the JDE market isn't providing enough of an impetus for Oracle to start expanding non-essential areas of business.

Lastly, I feel VERY strongly that independent organizations should be able to offer both training AND certification freely to products like this. If there is demand, then let corporations competitively fill that demand. Training was used by JDE as a "stick" to beat the hell out of their partners and non-partners. I know, when I offered my own CNC "masterclass" training in 2003, JDE Training threatened a suit against me. Eventually, when I threatened a counter-suit, they backed down.

So, my answer is "no" - having Oracle as an overbearing dictator on who implements its products? no thanks (and it won't happen - hasn't ever happened with any of their other products !!!)

see attachment - in this case the picture + words is worth a million

Attachments

• 162615-dilbert - certification.jpg
    162615-dilbert - certification.jpg
    16.1 KB · Views: 180

I remember ten years ago when I went to Denver for JDE Intro RDA training...

An unnamed organization had six folks in the class... some of them were doing even worse than me (this was my first intro to JDE)... on the last day of the course, the instructor asked what we were going to do with our new found knowledge...

... Those six commented they were being sent out to client sites, the following week....

When I went to Global Knowledge's VMS and Oracle Training - I got a Cert that stated I had completed the training and a grade... When I completed any of the JDE Training - I got a handshake....

[ QUOTE ]
I voted NO because I feel is too late for this initiative. We can all see that the demand for JDE professionals is rather low these days.

[/ QUOTE ]

Very interesting comments; however, I have seen significant increases in demand for JDE professionals based on the deluge of emails I receive regularly from throughout the globe requesting candidate referrals from me.

And on a personal note, I do not favor reinstatement of the JD Edwards User Certification Program to enhance my salary and better my career achievements. I want to see world class Oracle JD Edwards training made available and reinforcing it with a tough and thorough testing program established to enable users that do the work, know the system, and have earned expert status to have accreditation.

[ QUOTE ]
In my opinion, this isn't a good poll.

First of all, the poll leads with three "YES" options - that, at a glance, all look identical. A better poll should give an equal "yes" and "no" options. If there aren't enough "NO" options - then the poll should be limited to two options.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for responding Jon. I actually designed the poll to get more information than simply "Yes" or "No" and couldn't think of many alternatives for a "No" answer; however, it had become apparent in countless discussions across the trade blogs that opinion would be strongly influenced on who would be the administrators of the training and the certification testing.

I have to take everyone's word on whether the past JD Edwards User Certification Program was worth the paper it was written on because I was not exposed to it; however, I am ready to debate anyone that negatively speaks about User Training programs by JD Edwards out of Denver before the PeopleSoft acquisition because I was there and did the work and reaped the benefits of the World Class JDE training that I received. But despite the fact of opinions of the past training and/or certification programs being spread far apart from crap to awesome, this does not tell us that it is impossible or improbable that a future program could be designed to improve upon anything ever available before.

Thanks again Jon for elaborating on your opinion.

Back