What's in YOUR resume?

Re: What\'s in YOUR resume?

Hello,
Was this a telephonic interview, 'cos, I am facing a very similar quality of candidates claming top quality work on their CV's but....., just nothing, when I ask some very basic questions.
I dont mean to hurt anyone here, but, honestly, the quality is pretty bad.
Cheers

My interviews are over the telephone. I have even had the interviewee have pauses while they try to look up the information. Actually, If they can find the information that quickly, I give them credit for that.

Ben again,

Or rather, it might have taken a while for the other persons in the room to give the answer to the interviewee.

I've heard of cases wherein a group of friends each 'specializing' in some area of the product will sit together. When the interviewer asks the question, the person specializing in that area will quickly jot the answer or signal the answer in some way. Voila !!
grin.gif

Hi alphaq,

[ QUOTE ]
Zoltan---I know most of them but can u please explain me the following:
1.difference between Business and Cotrol Tables data sources
2.OCM Mappings
3.why are tables in different Data Sources

[/ QUOTE ]

So you know the answers for the following:

[ QUOTE ]
Q1.)
What does it mean Path Code & Environment? (for consultants too!!!)
Q2.)
What are the differences between them, and what is th relation each to other?

[/ QUOTE ]

your #2.OCM Mappings
OCM - Object Configuration Manager / Object Mapping
Simply this is the relation between Path Code & Environment - as you already know
cool.gif

your #1.difference between Business and Cotrol Tables data sources
Briefly: the Data Source
cool.gif

They strores separately different type of tables (Business, Control)
Business Data strores the living business tables, which are updated and extended frequently and intensivly, Control Tables stores the quazi static tables, like Menus and UDCs.
The separation makes possible to handle these tables different, e.g.: - back-up
- resources
- etc.

your #3.why are tables in different Data Sources
If you are familiar with the system archtect, Path Code and Environments, then you can easily figure out yourself.
cool.gif

There are different types of tables for different purpose and they are strored in different way separated Data Sources. This makes possible to share them different way between Systems, Environments, Path Codes, e.g.
System Tables - all environment see the same
Central Objects - environment with same path code see the same
Data Dictionary - all environment see the same (by default)
etc.

Regards,

Zoltán

Shoot your questions are a walk in the park compared to mine. These questions are for people who say they know OW. If you know OW well, the questions are easy. If you know the tools but not the OW applications, then you will need a lot of good specs.

If you can anwer more then 50% then I would consider you for the job. This is assuming a senior level programming. Some questions are designed more to see how the person answers the question, versus the actual answer. An entry level person would not know most of the answers.

Let me know what you think. Some are financial and some a logistic type questions

Rob

Describe what is required to add a new Warehouse that would carry inventory and which files are affected for this process.
F0006
F0101
F4100
F41001

What is the purpose of the G/L Class? Where does the system take it from when updating a new line number?

Describe the sequence in which an order hits the AAI’s and which Type of AAI’s are hit for the transaction.
What is the name of the AAI files?

Which fields in the order entry file tell you that a line has actually been shipped excluding the invoice date and invoice number?
SDSO02,SDNXTR

Would a date in the invoice date indicate the line has been invoiced?

What is the following programs names.
Sales Update Program-R42800
Invoicing -R42565
Pick Slip Print-R42520

Name the following Files
Cardex
Order entry
Purchasing receipts file
A/P Detail and check files
A/R Detail and check files
Inventory Master and B/P Master
Drop Shipment File.
Company Master,
Fiscal Date Master

What is the actual data requirements that determines if an address book record can take an order against it?

Descript the following data dictionary fields
SHAN
AA
UPMJ
UPMT
ITM
LITM
AITM
LNTY
AEXP
ECST
NXTR
PTC
TRAR

From Sales order Management where is the PO Number entered in the F4211?
VR01

In the SOM Header record. How important is the open amount.
How important as a whole is the SOM Header record. Does the system use this information?

What are the different stocking types in the Inventory Module?

What is Receipt routing in JDE and how does it work.

What is the major downfall/negative in the A/P MODULE?
-Received un-vouchered.

What are different was your can setup Serial Number Control OR lot control.

What is advanced serial number control in JDE and how does it work.

How can you correct a corrupted G/L?
-F0902 VS F0911

How do you setup a substitute product?

How do setup a product so that it CANNOT be put on an JDE SOM order

What determines in JDE is a customer or vendor number can be used to take an order in JDE

If you have two B/P which each have inventory and G/L entries. Going forward if you want to keep both branches open with inventory but merge the financial information in the financial system how can this be quickly accomplished with program changes or database changes.

Describe how you would add a new vendor (including address information) and what steps would and which files are affected for this process..
F0101
F0111
F0116
F0115
F0301

Name the following Files
Cardex
Order entry
Purchasing receipts file
A/P Detail and check files

A/B Book file
G/L Detail,
G/L summary
Business unit master file

A/R Detail and check files
Inventory Master and B/P Master
Drop Shipment File.
Company Master,
Fiscal Date Master

What would normally be the Ledger type in the G/L For budgets? What is the purpose of the XE Ledger type.

Using the JDE System how would you get the budgets into JDE.

Descript the following data dictionary fields
ANI
AID
OBJ
SUB
LT
AN8
TRDJ
LOCN
AC01

PTC
TRAR

What is the purpose of the JDE integrity reports and how would you go about using then to make corrections.

Provide an example of 3 integrity reports,

What area’s in JDE Would you consider to be unstable or need improvement.

AS/400 / RPG…

How do you bind a program in ILE?

How many years have you been using JDE?

What is the first version of JDE You worked on? (Oldest)

HAHAHAHA! Oh man, that's great! But, I think there's something in the Constitution about cruel and unusual punishment.

tongue.gif

I can think of a half dozen 'sales' programmers who could get past 50% of the questions, but none of them were what I would call 'intuitive' programmers. They could turn out code, but they were slow and never coded scalable programs. They got by, but their stuff was very hard to change without addressing architecture issues.

I can also think of a few Purchasing and Transportation/Adv Warehouse programmers that would fail this test miserably, but are incredible programmers. They've a drive to write 'good' (architecturally, and efficient) software and in my book that will always trump memorized DD codes. That kind of ambition learns this stuff really fast.

Still, this is a first step to assessing time on-line, but someone who flops it only demonstrates they haven't been working on very specific Programs. Considering that, your test may not have a lot of value when it comes to hiring talented people. I guess that's my assumption with all of this discussion; we want to hire talented people. Isn't that our goal with these interviews? And yes, prior experience is a component of the talent.

I could probably get 50% or better on your test there, but like WB said, that
just shows that I'm familiar with those areas. I think that the "Intuitive"
aspect is much more valuable than specific knowledge.
WB showed me early on that it isn't really what you know, but how you think. If
you are given a task, how will you approach it? I didn't really *Get* it until
I left the company we worked for and was thrust into some areas where I was
completely unfamiliar. But, if you know JDE, you that basic structures apply to
most everything. I know Sales Order Entry and procurement, but given some time,
I'm figuring out manufacturing and many other areas... including that dang
Advanced Pricing and Adjustment modules someone here wrote... :)
Yea, I'm not the most inventive or intuitive programmer, but I can accomplish
any task given to me in a timely manner.
I think looking for someone who is confident and willing to grow is another
aspect that should be considered when interviewing. That's what got me my
current job... that and being able to sell ice to an eskimo.... :)

Wow! And those are your technical questions?!? So for your functional position interviews, do you ask them questions about the development tools?

If I came in to interview with you for a technical position and those were the questions you asked, I would be so caught off-guard I am sure I would bomb-out. I also would, in my head, wonder what you know about the toolset. I could see asking some of those at a later point in the interview...AFTER you've established their 'technical knowledge'. If you are basing your technical hires on the answers to those questions, I'd seriously rethink your process.

By the way, you got at least one of your questions wrong:
[ QUOTE ]
Describe how you would add a new vendor (including address information) and what steps would and which files are affected for this process..
F0101
F0111
F0116
F0115
F0301

[/ QUOTE ]
The vendor table is F0401.

I like Darren's approach to the interview process. I would look for the intangibles: desire to learn new things; enthusiam for the geeky nature of programming; some proven track-record of the ability to analyze a problem and come up with an effective, unique solution; and personality!

I also think a working knowledge of the C language is important for a JDE developer. The real guts of any of the systems is buried within the MBF's. You need to understand the low-level workings of the code in order to make any effective design changes and/or additions.

[ QUOTE ]
I could probably get 50% or better on your test there, but like WB said, that<br>just shows that I'm familiar with those areas. I think that the "Intuitive"<br>aspect is much more valuable than specific knowledge. <br>WB showed me early on that it isn't really what you know, but how you think. If<br>you are given a task, how will you approach it? I didn't really *Get* it until<br>I left the company we worked for and was thrust into some areas where I was<br>completely unfamiliar. But, if you know JDE, you that basic structures apply to<br>most everything. I know Sales Order Entry and procurement, but given some time,<br>I'm figuring out manufacturing and many other areas...

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with what everyone is saying above. But the questions are designed to test your level of knowledge. Your level of knowledge of JDE, no matter if it is the Application itself or the technical part. Prove to me you know something about JDE. Anything! Just don't put it on your resume and ask me for a six figure salary.

If I ask about a specific DD item and I get and answer like, "look in the DD inquiry screen or I would look in file X". Then that is also a great answer. An answer of "I don't know" should not get you far.

If you know one area well, then you can adapt to another area. I agree 100%. Then show me you know SOM and I will put in you in a MFG position.

I'm a firm believer that if you can find the answer quickly. Then that's just as good as knowing the answer.

But I see too many people in the IT field spend way too much time looking for stuff and never looking in the right place.

Great IT guys are great because they have a skill that I call "Trouble shooting". This means that no matter what the problem is, they can get the answer or find the problem quickly. How fast can you find a bug, fix a program, correct a corrupted database. Hence get the company back on track. I find people who have this skill can code great system.

Rob

Ok, I am really confused. I just interviewed another developer......They say they have four years experience and develop on a daily basis. I asked them about aliases, but they couldn't answer the questions.

Q: Status Codes (for Sales Order) A: Don't know, but don't really work with aliases.
Q: Business Unit, or Cost Center, or Branch Plant. A: Don't remember.
Q: Address Book Number. A: AN.
Q: What is DL01? A: Don't know.

How long do you need to be a developer to know address number is AN8 or Business Unit is MCU? My guess would be 1 day?

I really feel like I am talking to the guy from the movie "Catch Me If You Can" where he is a hustler who fakes being a Pilot or Doctor....But at least he could fake it enough to talk the lingo....

SO, IS THERE ANY DEVELOPER OUT THERE ON THIS LIST THAT DOESN'T KNOW MCU IS BRANCH PLANT?

I would really like to know - maybe that could be a baseline question - that if they don't get it right, I hang up on them.....just kidding, I'm not that mean - but it is very frustrating...

Ben again,

You mean Business Unit isn't "BU" ?!

LOL

I understand your frustration ! I've had to weed out "experienced" people time and time again - its such a waste of time on both sides. I had one developer come to me and claim he knew CNC - he couldn't tell me what table contains datasources nor could he tell me where the OCM was kept. He backpedaled so freakin' fast "oh...CNC ? That CNC ? No - I only know the basics...." - I'm waiting for somebody to say "Oh - I thought you meant CNC as in MACHINING !"

Hi Jon,

Would be a good first question to him/her: What is CNC abbreviation of?
(...hope, my English is correct, but if is not, do you know, what I would like to mean)

Regards,

Zoltán

[ QUOTE ]
Ok, I am really confused. I just interviewed another developer......They say they have four years experience and develop on a daily basis. I asked them about aliases, but they couldn't answer the questions.

Q: Status Codes (for Sales Order) A: Don't know, but don't really work with aliases.
Q: Business Unit, or Cost Center, or Branch Plant. A: Don't remember.
Q: Address Book Number. A: AN.
Q: What is DL01? A: Don't know.

How long do you need to be a developer to know address number is AN8 or Business Unit is MCU? My guess would be 1 day?

I really feel like I am talking to the guy from the movie "Catch Me If You Can" where he is a hustler who fakes being a Pilot or Doctor....But at least he could fake it enough to talk the lingo....

SO, IS THERE ANY DEVELOPER OUT THERE ON THIS LIST THAT DOESN'T KNOW MCU IS BRANCH PLANT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Run and Run fast. 4 Years of development and those are the answers your getting. WOW.

Rob

You know, a year on the planet Mercury is only 88 days. Maybe he was on Mercury for those four years. Really, did he specifically say Earth years?
tongue.gif

Yes, run and run fast.. Everytime I get an interview like that I think of WhippingBoy's animation.

By the way, I noticed when I first connect to this forum without logging in, I see the animations and the graphics for each member. After I log in, the animations and graphics go away....Any idea why?

**** I know Zoltan will say it is because I didn't include the level of OneWorld that I am working on!
smile.gif

Ben again,

Hi Ben again,

[ QUOTE ]
By the way, I noticed when I first connect to this forum without logging in, I see the animations and the graphics for each member. After I log in, the animations and graphics go away....Any idea why?

[/ QUOTE ]

Go to My Home from the top menu, select your display preferences, check the settings of the radio buttons on bottom of display preferences panel.

...and please, next time attach your release, SP / Tool Set level, system, platfor, etc. information to your issues. Thanks.
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

Read you later & Regards,

Zoltán

Re: RE: What\'s in YOUR resume?

Andy,

I personally agree that funtional and applications experts should have at least basic DB knowledge in their area of expertise like the tables and how they relate (maybe even primary keys and other things but hey at least the tables).

Of course, in the developer forum you wont get much arguement but likely on the applications side some might say this is not required. And I deal with this at times and don't really know for sure what is required. Is there anything that indicates what an apps persons level of DB knowledge should be?

I know it's off topic a bit but just wondering.

Thanks,

Tom

RE: RE: What\'s in YOUR resume?

I think apps people should know most of the basic tables for their
applications -- master tables, transaction tables, and history tables.

As far as how much they should know about the tables, that's a judgement
call, but it helps to know the keys that uniquely identify records and how
the tables interact.

And it's always good to have a pretty detailed idea of the sequence of
events that occur after the OK button is clicked--that knowledge goes hand
in hand with knowing what the applications are supposed to do.

Just my opinion, of course!

Andy Klee
www.JDEtips.com

Re: RE: RE: What\'s in YOUR resume?

Wow what a thread! At times it seemed like a competition amongst interviewers, but I must say there were many worthwhile ideas suggested.

It is appalling how some really do NOT know what they profess to.

My favourite (pardon my former Canadian spelling habits) was a so-called Professional Manager (there is no such designation in Canada) who was applying for a programmers job. Two minutes in he asked "so how long until I am running the department?". That certainly cut the interview short and saved all concerned a lot of time. In case you're wondering, yes, the door did hit his a__ on the way out.

cheers and good posting listers
Sheen
crazy.gif

Those are good questions, but...
Those questions should be used as a tool to keep the conversation going when things seem to need a boost, but part of the interviewing process is to get the interviewee to talk as much as possible about what he does.
Perhaps the first question should be: "It says on your resume you are an expert. Please elaborate on what you think it means to be an expert in your own words."
Once you get the interviewee talking, you can listen for ques where it would be good timing to interject some of your applicable question choices. The goal should be establish a confident interviewee before slamming the questions.

If that doesnt work, perhaps a different approach when it seems like things arent clicking? Maybe you could fax him some event rules that have an obvious bug in them, and start the discussion there. If he is an expert, it will become evident quickly. An expert may not be good at answering questions that an instructor or fresh student might be able to answer cleanly, but he could be a real genious when he is actually in the code. Afterall, a real expert in OMW might not actually get to talk to real people that often!
cool.gif

Back