Accessing PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne 8.11 through a citrix server?

vivek_kaushal

Well Known Member
Hi Guys
Right now we have XE version and it is accessed by end users through Citrix server. We have plans to upgrade to 8.11 and in this release there is only web access to end users. There is one very interesting question that came into picture during discussion. In Life sciences companies, Application Access need to be controlled. Meaning that either we need to control the configuration of users's pc or need to find another way in which the application behaviour must not be impacted by the user's actions.
Controlling the configuration of users' pc is not easy, given that they have access to internet( They can download a lot of stuff and change the configuration which may impact behaviour of the application).
Another workaround could be we could publish "Internet explorer" on a citrx server ( in that way we can control IE) and then users can use published IE to access the web application. But we also want to make sure that users can not access this web application using local IE on their pcs. Is it possible? Any suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

If you're worried about 8.11 access...dump the investment in Citrix...look towards WAS security. Don't quote me, but in 8.11 there are still fat clients for development, but they are prohibited from running apps.

I'd be looking for a secure way to access the web apps without Citrix...perhaps the portal solution which uses LDAP, and then you can control access to the E1 apps as well as IE.

Regards,

Hi Jim
Thanks for your quick response. We are not worried about security. The concern is about the different configuration setting on user's pc that can impact application. e.g. If the application is compatible with one Java plug in, it may behave differently with another java plug in. Another example would be Acrobat reader. The formatting may change a little bit depending upon version of acrobat reader on pc. We never thought about these issues when we were using Citrix server. That is the reason workaround accessing IE on Citrix server came into picture.

At Connect they specifically mentioned reasons why running the fat client on Citrix would not be supported after 8.10. Primarily, PowerForms are a web-only feature and therefore will not function on the fat client.

There was a slide in one of the sessions which listed why the fat client would not work on Citrix. Renaming the executable would get it up and running but you still have the situation where certain screens would not display properly and of course you can forget about calling PeopleSoft when you run into problems. They discussed the future of development and mentioned all of the apps which would be supported for development on the FAT client, but they also alluded to new web functionality in future releases such as OMW. Most administrative apps will be supported in future releases as well. Whether or not that means they will back port to versions prior to 8.11 or 8.12 remains to be seen.

You mentioned running IE over Citrix, and this "workaround" would solve a lot of your problems in regards to a standard platform. We are considering doing much the same thing in the near future.

RE: Accessing PeopleSoft EnterpriseOne 8.11/9.1 through a citrix server?

We have been using Citrix Xenapp to host IE for years, from 8.12 through 9.1(current), and it works great. We are now in a pilot to host in PD a Citrix published app for SSO(Everest) and Chrome. Hosting Chrome and IE via Citrix is perfectly viable and stable(notwithstanding the issues already mentioned on JDEList about media object HTML text attachments. I will probably post something else concerning Chrome issues I am seeing with respect to grid/form focus/cursor issues affecting us that aren't covered with any TR fixes).

If you don't want users going to E1 via their desktop, they need to not know the URL to get there. We use IE and Chrome in kiosk mode, which hides the address bar.

- Vernon

Another way would be to control access to the web server. Just allow the servers in the Citrix Farm (and any others that are appropriate) to access the JDE web ports.

Tom

You realize that you're resurrecting a 10 year old thread, right?

There are a number of obvious comments, statements and accusations I could make about this thread being resurrected, but I'll hold those close to my vest.

Sorry, my very astute and esteemed fellow-CNC'ers...I have/had been looking for all avenues to try and iron out Chrome issues that I am experinencing in the year 2014 A.D., NOT 2004...sorry for resurrecting anything that should rightly be locked in the vault! :) I found the thread above and missed the year...proofreading is overrated...ha.

- Vernon

Back