Offshore development

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am glad that this has flourished, but now I want to pose the final question. References. We would all like to hear the success or failure stories of outsourcing, overseas or not, from the end customers, if there are any on this forum.
If there are failures, then the why is the key. Please keep it specific to JDE and not ERP projects in general. I would say that JDE is one of the more difficult applications to ship out.
Let the votes commence!

Great Stuff, I just wonder how many good americans are out of work because of
offshore, seems somewhat anti-american.

--
Senior Technical Consultant
17611 E. Tennessee Pl.
Aurora, CO 80017
Work 303-337-1906
Cell 303-885-1405
Fax 303-306-1800

Scott,
I agree with most of what you said in your e-mail.

I used to work for BP in the UK and have been fortunate to work on remote World and OneWorld projects. The latter was rather painful as not all the functions to support remote development were working - thats the first time I have been through to Level 3/4 support EU/Denver on an issue.

The cost of local consultants should not be weighed in pure money alone. The fact they are one site (especially for minor changes) is invaluable, not least is the spontinaity (no time difference!), no language barrier and the culture is the same. All of these factors can lead to delay or misunderstanding.

The technology now is pretty robust and there are a number of choices VPN, Packages to name but two. The risks mentioned above can be mitigated but never removed..

Having done it a few times my experience tells me to only use remote for large well defined chunks of work e.g. developing a new module/add on for JDE. Enhancements go much quicker with local resource.
Even when using remote developers I would use local resource to specify and systems test.

My 2 cents worth anyway.

Best regards

Peter

Re: RE: Offshore development

Ozzyware, I agree with the second comment you made:

"When it comes to the quality, you would want to select the "Best Of Breed" software tools to help you with the job. Power, features, ease of use, stability, support... "

Let the users decide for themselves. Viceversa is a mature product, is full of features, and has been out in the market for more than 2 years. A fully functioning trial version is available for download at www.oracular.com.

Muneeb A.

Oh, that's it (ViceVersa). That is the product that was demonstrated at
Focus last year. Pretty slick product, played with a demo of it for a bit
and it worked well. From the QUEST listing, they are going to be there again
this year..may be worth a visit to their booth..

-John

---------------------------------
OneWorld B733.3 (XE)
SP 19_B1, Update 6
Win2k Server SP2
SQL 2000, SP2
Metaframe 1.8a
---------------------------------

Xe, Update2, SP16
SQL2k, Win2k
Metaframe 1.8a

Offsite development in good old USA

We have had some offsite/ not offshore development done by a company called eKin Systems, Inc. in Wisconsin.

We saved a tremendous amount of money and resources using them. This company has been able to do modifications along with reporting - all of it offsite in Wisconsin. We are able to communicate with them at will and they have been addressing our requirements as suggested by our business process owners. Our IT department remains very thin with their help and we just recently signed a long-term support agreement.

One more thing we found interesting about them was their claim for a free retrofitting to the Standard JDE objects during the first upgrade. It was a big concern since we heard some horror stories about customization from other Edwards implementation.

I would highly suggest contacting them and seeing if they could be of any help to concerned parties.

Good luck

Sal Williams

Re: Offsite development in good old USA

Hi,
A lot depends on the nature of work. Can you elaborate as to what work you had done so others can draw a parallel. For example, was it mostly UBE work, data conversions, Applications work etc. How was the work transported to your site. How was QA done on the work etc.

Thank you

Yes I totally agree. Let the users decide for themselves. Few things that distinguish Boomerang:

It’s two times less expensive.

Does not require a server.

No user training is required.

Is native to OneWorld .No sneaky back door DB access.

Uses the same OneWorld/OMW security layer as a user would.

No configuration is required.

Exported Objects are packaged into highly compressed files.

Who said that a two-year-old technology is good today?

Boy, that boomerang must be super ! I think we should open up a new forum made specifically for boomerang commercials !

Hello ozzyware (and others),
No one claims that two year old technology is good today. What our claim is that the project was incepted three years ago and has matured since then. We have a different focus than your product, although it seems to be crossing lines. The main focus of ViceVersa when incepted was to provide versioning capability within OneWorld. That is why the server piece is important in ViceVersa methedology (not required). The Offsite development ended up to be a side benefit because ViceVersa allows to make backups of OneWorld objects that are independent of the OneWorld environment.

Your concerns are:
- Sneaky Backdoor DB access - This is not any "Sneaky" backdoor DB access. It uses standard ODBC calls to extract Object Information that is easily accessible, using the CNC mappings within OneWorld.

- Using OneWorld Security layer - The security layer is not important to ViceVersa because it works within the confines of OneWorld. The additional security that ViceVersa provides is the ability to manage ViceVersa features.

- No Configuration required - The configuration required is what is needed by OneWorld, i.e., identifying the System Data Source. Everything else is picked up using the CNC settings. We made a concious decision to keep the settings seperate because it is possible to run ViceVersa on a client that does not have OneWorld installed entirely.

- Compressed file exports - Again it is not in the product vision of ViceVersa. This is a very simple thing to add to any product and Compression utilities are available by the thousands.

Additionaly as I mentioned before, our vision for ViceVersa is more than simply export the OneWorld objects. ViceVersa has the following fetaures:
-Selectively export OneWorld objects
-Selectively export OneWorld projects and associated objects
-Automatically export OneWorld objects upon a checkin from OMW
-Allow for Adhoc queries on OneWorld data sources, providing best of UTB and SQL query capabilities
Allow to export/import disjoint OneWorld environments, hence allowing for offsite development.
-Export non-Object information like, Business Data, CNC settings (as a group), OMW settings (as a group), Security settings (as a group).

In the near future, ViceVersa will allow for simple reporting capabilities against OneWorld tables, as well as Business Views, thus allowing another Adhoc Query capability for the users.

To conclude, the two products are different with different product focus. While Boomerang may be very well suited (as you claim) for exporting/importing OneWorld objects, ViceVersa achieved this three years ago. ViceVersa has moved on to provide more features to its users and we continue to incorporate the feedback from its installed base into the product.

And finally, please let's not turn this into an advertising forum. Since you were making claims against our product, I felt I had to respond to set the record straight. Good luck.

Muneeb A.
www.oracular.com

To all commercial posters,

Muneeb's last statement is way too late! This thread has already turned into an advertising forum. While I find the products you guys pushing to be intriguing, I would rather search the info out on my own and not be bombarded with it in this forum.

RE: RE: Offshore development

While I appreciate your well taken point Jeremy, professional JDE
consultants make up over half of our list group and if you try to eliminate
that eliminate, you eliminate a great deal of opportunity for advice to be
given to the novice JDE user or developer.

I think we can all ignore the obvious, blatant advertisements and use the
delete key we all have on our computers rather then loose the wealth of
information these professional consultants have to offer.

My 1/2 a cent, for what it is worth.

Don R. Simpson
General Manager & Partner, SSC Inc.
Stratagem Systems Consulting, Inc. - A Division of Capital Alliance
Holdings, LLC
Certified Optio Partner - www.optiosoftware.com
3333 Warrenville Rd., Suite 200 # 73
Lisle, IL 60532
Phone: (630) 961-5662
Fax: (630) 961-5644
Email: [email protected]
Web: www.Stratagem.US

Don R. Simpson
Stratagem Systems Consulting, Inc. (SSC)Naperville, IL 60565, (630) 961-5662
www.stratagem.us, [email protected]

We tried for Report Development and it was just too hard getting the specs clearly understood, code back and tested, new specs back to India, and so on. Find a good local company with great references and stick with them. May cost upfront, but as others have said, you can pay a lot more later on trying to "fix" the problems. It can be done but I do not think it is worth it. We found an outstanding source for programming; hope you do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back