E9.2 Validate a State

Stank1964

Well Known Member
I need to validate a state in JDE. In world software, we used to have a table that related a country to the states (province) in that country. I don't see that table (or app) in E1.

Thanks for the help.

I'm not familiar with any existing data in E1. To do this I'd think you'd need a data integration with a governmental unit or similar data provider. For instance, USPS API: https://www.usps.com/business/web-tools-apis/address-information-api.pdf

I think this becomes quite a mess if you're dealing with multiple countries-- you'd want to look up an aggregation service like https://www.smarty.com/products/international-address-verification .

Both of these suggestions don't include a regularly-refreshed lookup of just states & countries. I assume there might be a data provider who would offer exactly what you're looking for, where you'd want to run a refresh every so often.

At some point the tipping point would lean towards just the "elbow grease" method with a little wikipedia, an entry form, and lots of coffee :)

Also as there's nothing to stop two countries having the same state or province your table would need a primary key of country and state. Otherwise could have used a UDC of states with country in DL02.

I need to validate a state in JDE. In world software, we used to have a table that related a country to the states (province) in that country. I don't see that table (or app) in E1.

Thanks for the help.

You may want take a look at standard F0117 / P0117 "Postal Codes".
There are two POs under "process" tab of your P01012 APPL related to such a feature.

Indeed it's important to consider ADDS data dictionary (see UDC 01|S "State & Province") has a double meaning (State OR Province) depending on your country code value (see CTR field).
For example:
"MI" stands for "Michigan" if you are referring to "US - United States" Country Code.
"MI" stands for "Milan" if your are referring to "IT - Italy" Country Code.

Kind regards,

Carlo

Stank1964,
I believe the World feature you are referring to is in the F0075, accessed via P0075. That table exists in E1 but it is used for something entirely different - which actually kind of surprises me a little bit - I know they are two different product lines now so it shouldn't.

The World manual suggests using the F0117/P0117 as an alternative to F0075/P0075 , which does exist in E1. But the manual points out that it doesn't validate the postal code like the P0075 solution.

Dave gives a couple of solutions above, one of which we have used in Orchestrations that work very well, in some way better. Not sure if you have access to Orchestrator but I might suggest you look into it.

EDIT: Didn't see Carlo's post on P0117/F0117 at first, which he describes well.

Last edited:
Back