E9.1 Update Change performed to a file via an interactive application

MikeBCN

Hi all,

I am trying to create/update a program that will record/update a certain file when I have done a change via an interactive application.

Example:

I use P4015 (Order Templates) to modify prices, effective dates etc to certain customer templates.
Those changes I want to see who and when the change was done - similar to a ledger/audit file (the customer audit/ledger file we have already in place) but is only updated when other programs are used and not yet when changes are done via P4015.

I hope I was clear otherwise let me know and any tip/recommendation is welcome.

Thanks!

What app version/tools release?
What database?
It sounds to me like you DO want audit tracing on any update to order templates not made by P4015. The wording in your post is a little difficult, but that's what I think you're after?

Do you know the entire "galaxy" of non-P4015 apps that are being used to update? Or is that forever going to be an unknown

Answering these questions should help people smarter than me to help you out

Hi Dave, yes I reckon wording was not too good, sorry.
We are on 9.1 TR 9.2.0

We have a custom file F55xxxx updated only by a custom template interactive version P554015.
Each time a user modifies data with P554015 that change will update F55xxxx with data modified + userID, PID, Time, Date.

Now I want/need to when using non custom P4015 to also update F55xxxx when a user uses P4015 to modify data on a template (can be price, eff date, etc)

So at the end we could have P554015 and P4015 updating the customer audit/ledger file (I say ledger as it is similar to F42199 or similar)

So in theory it would be copying that code section of P554015 to P4015 - my question is, if I made myself clear, where in the Event Rules (?) BSFN (?)of P4015 would we need to add that logic to be the same as for P554015

Ahhh OK!

I was hoping that we could address your needs without customization, specifically via Logic Extension, but I think if you're on 9.2.0 TR you need an upgrade to get there

So knowing that the solution will need to be done via customization of P4015 (eww, but sometimes a necessary evil) I'd analyze P554015 to find on which events the ledger is written. It depends on the developer who created the customization- could be simple Table IO event rule, Named Event rule business function, or C business function. This is where some time spent in research should pay off, because P4015 would behave the same as its custom counterpart.

I don't hesitate in recommending @craig_welton 's excellent product Object Browser to do this. You can ctrl-f on the entire code of P554015 to see where the writes to F55xxxx are happening, then trace those to the events.

Ahhh OK!

I was hoping that we could address your needs without customization, specifically via Logic Extension, but I think if you're on 9.2.0 TR you need an upgrade to get there

So knowing that the solution will need to be done via customization of P4015 (eww, but sometimes a necessary evil) I'd analyze P554015 to find on which events the ledger is written. It depends on the developer who created the customization- could be simple Table IO event rule, Named Event rule business function, or C business function. This is where some time spent in research should pay off, because P4015 would behave the same as its custom counterpart.

I don't hesitate in recommending @craig_welton 's excellent product Object Browser to do this. You can ctrl-f on the entire code of P554015 to see where the writes to F55xxxx are happening, then trace those to the events.
Awesome, big help Dave!

Back