XE Citrix blue spinning wheel of death

gregglarkin

gregglarkin

Legendary Poster
Hi

Long time member, took a break and now I'm back in CNC land. I have a customer that is using XE on Citrix (yea, they are using old tech). They are getting complaints about receiving the "blue spinning wheel of death" (their term, not mine). Citrix spins and spins. Some times it comes back, some times it just boots them out, some times users just give up and abandon their session. There are also associated reports of oworld.exe not responsive to go along with the spinning wheel of death. Has anyone else seen this? I suspect that their citrix servers are the issue, but would like to see if anyone else has thoughts.

Gregg

Hi Gregg,
Welcome back! This is a longshot but when we first went live on XE on Citrix many years ago the OneWorld tray icon had some sort of animation that made the whole application unstable. We put a service pack on, don't recall which one, and the animation was removed leaving the tray icon static and it resolved the issues. It's likely you are already past that, though.

Also in the past we had to exclude certain folders from virus scanning for similar problems - possibly something to look into.

Maybe I am being too obvious, but perhaps the servers are just overloaded. You probably have done this already but check the resources on the server during peak usage.

Hi Mark

They made some tweaks on virus scanning, but this client does tend to have a short memory, so I won't rule that out. The servers being overloaded is where my gut is leading me. In speaking with one of the end users, she mentioned that there was a stretch of time when she was on a new set of servers that wasn't part of the overall pool and the problem wasn't happening. But once the servers went into the pool, the spinning wheel of death and the "oexplore.exe not responding" messages came back.

Back
Top Bottom